Weight question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bmiles92, Jan 2, 2020.

1. bmiles92

bmiles92 Junior Member

I'll be buying my first plow truck tomorrow. It's a 2011 RAM 3500 dually with a Boss V plow and metal dump box. My primary use is for our two mile dirt road between our camp and the nearest plowed road but might also take on side jobs.

How much weight should I need to start with when finding a good fit for rear traction. It's a four wheel drive with brand new tires being installed today.

I saw a post about ensure tire pressure is down around 40-45lbs.

Any other tips or tricks for a noobie would be appreciated.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

tire chains.

where in the you p are you?

BUFF and Hydromaster like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    bmiles92

bmiles92 Junior Member

Munising - "The snowmobile capital of the world"

Mark Oomkes and BossPlow2010 like this.
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

5. OP
    OP
    bmiles92

bmiles92 Junior Member

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Who told you to air down the tires??? Adding weight and airing down tires is a BAD idea.

NYH1, EWSplow, Mr.Markus and 3 others like this.
  7. midnight pumpkin

midnight pumpkin Senior Member

1,000 pounds as far back as possible.

16hdsport, NYH1 and Hydromaster like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

#1 Dont lower tire pressure. Unless you're driving on sand.

#2 Start at 1,000 and go up from there. 2,000 is not unrealistic for a 3500.

Beautiful country and some great riding in your area. I've been there many times.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure why someone would tell you to drop tire pressure for snow. You don't want to float over snow, you want your tires to get to pavement\gravel with the least amount of surface touching to increase traction.

Sand you want to float over.

Depending on the truck, we either run 5-10 PSI below what the sidewall says or right at full inflation if it's a salt truck.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You air down for snow when you want to float same as sand..... but not for ploughing.

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

80psi on all of em. Loaded with salt and carrying a plow.

midnight pumpkin likes this.
  12. 16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

This is interesting, I have a 2500 plow truck when studded snow tires. I currently run 65 PSI in the front and 50 in the rear. It has served me pretty well, but I wonder if I would have anything to gain in terms of traction by adding some air to the tires

13. midnight pumpkin

midnight pumpkin Senior Member

IMO traction difference would be negligible. It's a safety/durability issue. When tires are under inflated they flex too much, builds heat and in my lifetime of being in the tire business doesn't really show up until you dismount the tire from the wheel and see that the inside of the tire carcass is deteriorating and you find a lot of rubber powder. At the end of the day it depends on how much weight you have on the tire and specific tire size/wheel width combination. A low profile tire on a tire that is the same width as the wheel will be more forgiving that a 285 wide tire on a 7 in wide wheel. All vehicles are placarded for air psi recommendation and if you stray from factory sizes you adjust accordingly.
    Also on your 2500 I would think the rear psi recommendation is 80 psi, so going from a rear that is stiffer in the front to a softer rear than front, could change the trucks tendency to change the understeer/oversteer handing dynamic. I'm probably splitting hairs here but.....

Sawboy and Mark Oomkes like this.
  14. 16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

Thanks for the information. The truck rode like crap at 80psI in the rear. I have around 700lbs in the back, maybe I'll give 60-65psi a try. What are your thoughts?