Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51,674 Posts
I thought salt suspended in frozen water/snow/ice, couldn't corrode. Salt needs liquid water, and to be in contact with metal, to cause corrosion/rust.
Doesn't salt lower the freezing temperature of water?

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
What do you do with your attack line(s) in the winter?

What do you do with your pump in the winter? Yes, I realize most pump compartments have heaters but do you trust them? I never did.
Flow them, and they freeze still. And it looks like frozen spaghetti when you're done.
We don't drain our pumps, takes longer to get water since the pump has to be primed, also it dries out the packing. And there's still residual water in the system unless you blow it out with air.

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
Your tank will be dry long before your waterfall analogy comes into play.

Can't do both. Need the pump to be moving water, to well, move the water. If you put anti freeze in the pump, you leave it in the pump and you would have no way to move the water then.
I said a leg tank with washer fluid, and added keep it flowing. The pump isn't going to hold much more than a few gallons.
Rv Anti freeze is expensive, washer fluid isn't.

·
Registered
51,674 Posts
Never saw a frozen attack line if left cracked.

We never drained them either, we circulated when we got on scene whether we were flowing water or not.

Well, there was an old front mount that we drained because the wind chill driving to the scene would cause it to freeze.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Seems like it'd be easier & cheaper (or close enough to it) to just have guys drive them back to the shop a couple times a season and detail them inside and out/check them over…..as opposed to having to setup/maintain/worry about a mobile power washer setup, or worrying about someone else not doing things right and blasting water somewhere it shouldn't be on your tractors and theyre frozen solid next time you go out..?…..
The tractors return to the shop a couple times during the season. They'll get a good bath and FF. But depending on the road conditions sometimes they return to the site coated again in road salt. It's a 45 min drive so plenty of opportunity to dirty them up again. We try to pick a dry road day but sometimes that isnt in the cards.
I assume these tractors are getting roaded every storm and getting dirty? When I think of on-site machines that's where they stay... Most of our stuff in that nature isn't really dirty...

I've taken loaders to go stack/push back at other properties and they then come back a mess of coarse from roading...
They're used for residential snowblowing. Lot's of time on the road.
Fenders help, but they don't eliminate road grime.

None of our equipment stays on site, other than a couple sidewalk tractors. Even those get filthy. Everything has to do some road traveling.

I don't have nearly enough inside storage for our equipment...even at the shop. It gets washed regularly at below freezing temps and left outside. So far so good.
Fenders make a huge difference. All our tractors have them. But still get coated.

I was replacing a bulb in one of the work lights on the cab and noticed corrosion even at the top of the cab. Window hinges, screws, brackets. Its all beginning to corrode and many of these parts seem to be hidden from salt exposure but apparently not. The tractor is a 2018 with less than 600 hrs on it. The worst area is the rear. The splashing of snow, slush from the blower sprays all over. The hybrid design with the auger tucked farther back seems to cause less mess on our 2020 JD.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
Would do both,
Waterfalls freeze and the water is moving too…
We're talking half a day out for washing maybe... If you're in the 20's it'll be fine with recirculation...

Now if you're going out at 5° to wash then you're just a moron... But it's going to take a long time even in the 20's to freeze up...

·
Registered
51,674 Posts
you have far more trust in washer fluid than I do.
The blue stuff is crap...supposedly good to -20. I've had it freeze on me in the plu single digits.

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
The blue stuff is crap...supposedly good to -20. I've had it freeze on me in the plu single digits.
The have had the best luck with Prestone deicer in the winter.
We're talking half a day out for washing maybe... If you're in the 20's it'll be fine with recirculation...

Now if you're going out at 5° to wash then you're just a moron... But it's going to take a long time even in the 20's to freeze up...
Idk, you could go Vancouvering after you've washed your equipment…
Seems like a perfect way to do business…

·
Registered
2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL 6.2L , 2014 GMC Sierra All-Terrain 5.3L
15 Posts
Wondering what any of you do for cleaning up equipment that is kept on site. We keep a couple tractors parked across town from our shop. And closest car wash is five miles away. The only time they get a wash is when they are driven back to the shop for a repair. Other than that they stay pretty grimy. Was considering a pressure washer at my house since the tractors are fairly close to me. Or maybe a portable pressure washer? But would need to stay in heated shop on a trailer? Or hire a pressure washing service?

I suppose my situation is sorta unique since most staged equipment stays at the site and doesn't get a salt bath from roads.
If you are considering on site washing. Then Northern Lightning Wash is probably a decent expense but they are Traverse City local and offer mobile washing services. Seems like a solid company as far as I know.

Maybe consider like a weekly or bi weekly schedule to start.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Also, we only wash when it's above freezing
We typically don't have that luxury up here.
Sure you do. This past winter TC had 27 above freezing daytime temps in November, 19 days in December, 6 in January, 8 in February and 21 in March. Plenty of opportunities to clean equipment with a pressure washer.

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
Sure you do. This past winter TC had 27 above freezing daytime temps in November, 19 days in December, 6 in January, 8 in February and 21 in March. Plenty of opportunities to clean equipment with a pressure washer.
I for one am glad to see you back Jim :hi:

Reactions: BUFF

·
Registered
51,674 Posts
Should I change your name in my phone to "Retired Plow Lord"?

"Former Plow Lord"?

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
Thanks AJ…Marko just texted me the same.
What’s a super moderator? Congrats. Did you replace MJD?
Thank you, @Kevin_NJ is one too.

Mjd is still here, a different company took over, not sure if you were here when that happened. He goes by @Mike_PS now, and I think he manages several other forums of the couple thousand VS owns.

Reactions: Mike_PS
21 - 40 of 43 Posts