Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what any of you do for cleaning up equipment that is kept on site. We keep a couple tractors parked across town from our shop. And closest car wash is five miles away. The only time they get a wash is when they are driven back to the shop for a repair. Other than that they stay pretty grimy. Was considering a pressure washer at my house since the tractors are fairly close to me. Or maybe a portable pressure washer? But would need to stay in heated shop on a trailer? Or hire a pressure washing service?

I suppose my situation is sorta unique since most staged equipment stays at the site and doesn't get a salt bath from roads.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
Seems like there would be a good possibility of water lines freezing up by the time washing begins. Min 30 min drive from shop to site and would also include time needed to do other maintenance on tractor.
Circulate the water while driving.

Water jetting trailers used for cleaning sewer lines do just this. Take the hose, engage the pump back into the tank. Turn it on idle and go.

·
Registered
51,671 Posts
Also, we only wash when it's above freezing
Sutherners...you do realize in some areas it doesn't get above freezing for weeks or months?

Subscribed and hoping for a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
Couldn’t you also have a secondary leg tank going to a gate valve, keep washer fluid in one and water in the other, use the washer fluid when cleaning the windows and run it through the pump between sites

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wondering what any of you do for cleaning up equipment that is kept on site. We keep a couple tractors parked across town from our shop. And closest car wash is five miles away. The only time they get a wash is when they are driven back to the shop for a repair. Other than that they stay pretty grimy. Was considering a pressure washer at my house since the tractors are fairly close to me. Or maybe a portable pressure washer? But would need to stay in heated shop on a trailer? Or hire a pressure washing service?

I suppose my situation is sorta unique since most staged equipment stays at the site and doesn't get a salt bath from roads.
Seems like it'd be easier & cheaper (or close enough to it) to just have guys drive them back to the shop a couple times a season and detail them inside and out/check them over…..as opposed to having to setup/maintain/worry about a mobile power washer setup, or worrying about someone else not doing things right and blasting water somewhere it shouldn't be on your tractors and theyre frozen solid next time you go out..?…..

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
We use a mobile wash company to wash our tractors. Not the cheapest but its better than roading them to the yard, some are a 45 minute tractor drive away.

Car wash would be useless, the ones around here are hit and miss for pressure.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
We typically don't have that luxury up here.
I assume these tractors are getting roaded every storm and getting dirty? When I think of on-site machines that's where they stay... Most of our stuff in that nature isn't really dirty...

I've taken loaders to go stack/push back at other properties and they then come back a mess of coarse from roading...

·
Registered
51,671 Posts
Fenders help, but they don't eliminate road grime.

None of our equipment stays on site, other than a couple sidewalk tractors. Even those get filthy. Everything has to do some road traveling.

I don't have nearly enough inside storage for our equipment...even at the shop. It gets washed regularly at below freezing temps and left outside. So far so good.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
Couldn't you also have a secondary leg tank going to a gate valve, keep washer fluid in one and water in the other, use the washer fluid when cleaning the windows and run it through the pump between sites
Jetting machines have that only it is RV antifreeze. Issue is that it gets expensive and is not fool proof. You will have to fill the pump, and any hose unless you are positive you can get it 100% drained out. If the machine is running when you leave the shop, and the water is flowing through everything the likelihood of a battle when you get to site are pretty much eliminated.

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
Jetting machines have that only it is RV antifreeze. Issue is that it gets expensive and is not fool proof. You will have to fill the pump, and any hose unless you are positive you can get it 100% drained out. If the machine is running when you leave the shop, and the water is flowing through everything the likelihood of a battle when you get to site are pretty much eliminated.
Would do both,
Waterfalls freeze and the water is moving too…

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Sutherners...you do realize in some areas it doesn't get above freezing for weeks or months?

Subscribed and hoping for a good idea.
I thought salt suspended in frozen water/snow/ice, couldn't corrode. Salt needs liquid water, and to be in contact with metal, to cause corrosion/rust.

·
Registered
51,671 Posts
Would do both,
What do you do with your attack line(s) in the winter?

What do you do with your pump in the winter? Yes, I realize most pump compartments have heaters but do you trust them? I never did.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
Would do both,
Your tank will be dry long before your waterfall analogy comes into play.

Can't do both. Need the pump to be moving water, to well, move the water. If you put anti freeze in the pump, you leave it in the pump and you would have no way to move the water then.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts