Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I may be in the wrong section...

I own a 1999 F-150 5.4l V8.

I'm looking to get a snowblower for this upcoming winter and am looking to spend around $2500. But, I randomly thought about a plow. I have found the plow that I would choose but, I saw some post and the guy was saying he's aware of the risks and such using a small truck. I think he was using a GMC or Silverado.

So what are the risks? Are there things I should check on my truck before I dig any deeper into this? She's old but runs good... I honestly probably wouldn't plow much... I really only want to plow my driveway which is all gravel and about 140' long... I've paid someone in the past to do it and they had an older truck than I did and they did fine in my opinion. If anything I might plow here and there for friends/co-workers.

Here is the plow I'm looking at
https://realtruck.com/p/meyer-home-plow/v/ford/f150/1999/

I would get the Hydraulic option with the auto angling, and then I'd have to buy the 2'' front hitch.

I have no idea what I'm doing honestly lol... like I said I just now came up with this thought. I think it would be better than snow blowing due to being in the warm truck but I might get more use from the snowblower and I don't want to break my truck...

TIA for everything.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I think I kinda decided already. I'm just gonna go with the snowblower still... I would really like a plow but, with the snowblower, I can do sidewalks and someone comes and clears out the majority of my driveway already because I share it with a big storage building, so when it comes down to it I don't have TOO much to clear.

I enjoy this forum. Maybe I'll be back next year after a year with a snowblower haha.

· Registered
17,061 Posts
Okay, so I think I kinda decided already. I'm just gonna go with the snowblower still... I would really like a plow but, with the snowblower, I can do sidewalks and someone comes and clears out the majority of my driveway already because I share it with a big storage building, so when it comes down to it I don't have TOO much to clear.

I enjoy this forum. Maybe I'll be back next year after a year with a snowblower haha.
For the price of a snowblower, I wonder how many years you could hire the guy that plows the storage unit to plow your place while he's there?

· Super Moderator
42,963 Posts
For the price of a snowblower, I wonder how many years you could hire the guy that plows the storage unit to plow your place while he's there?
For a 140' drive I'd use a atv and have something to play with in the summer. Sure it's more money but it has more than one purpose and it won't depreciate as fast as a homeowner type plow.

· Registered
67 Posts
Just for the feedback. I have a 2012 F-150 and Ive heard that you shouldnt but I DID...and I love it. now granted I just do my fathers and mine driveways...dont bang banks or any hard plowing. but my F-150 hold up just fine. Im on my 4or 5 season with it. I have a Fisher homesteader plow. 7' Hydraulic over electric and its a 5.0 V8. Some suggest Timbrens in the front for the weight but I didnt put them in as my front sag is minimal. Again I use only for personal use and take off truck when not snowing so...Its no snow Rig but works well for me and the additional driveway or two I do. VERY happy with it and the F-150 can do basic plowing.....no parking lots or slamming snow banks but basic plowing its a very good TOOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.