1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Tracy89, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Local guy around here said that he was getting 70 grand a season the plow our local walmart...I feel like im being taken for a ride and being filled to brim with bull****. This seems pretty outrageous to me...what are your opinions?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is that the total contract price for a 10 year deal?

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

What town is it in?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Send a letter in that you can do it for $50,000.oo.

If you can. What is the size and requirements and total average snowfall?

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Might have gotten that price 20 Years ago......I would say he is getting in the 20 grand range for the Season....Im calling Bulls$%t on him.......:eek:

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Depending on the location (70-90 inches of snow) in the state I don't thinks hes BSing at all.... do the calculations..... after I did these he'd make about 20K BEFORE taxes...... this is also based before usm took over, when all the wally worlds were zero tolerance.....

7. fci

fci Senior Member

Maybe he is the owner of USM. When you see him tell him to pay the guys that plowed the other sites!!! :laughing:

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Remember Rich Arlington saying that in Erie, which gets a Butt load of Snow.....That a Lowes would go for around 20 Grand.....National have F^&Ked things up on these Big Box Store Pricing......

The Wal-mart near me....Which is a Super Wal-mart.. This store went for 25 Grand for the season...Thats all inclusive...Plowing ,Salting,Walks and treating the Walks...

In this area we are nearing 70" of snow for the season....So, on my calculator these numbers just don't add up.....

9. PapaSnowPlow

PapaSnowPlow Junior Member

I put a bid in for a couple super wally worlds in the 50k range and they said we were about double what USM found someone to it it for. yikes!

10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Oh trust me I hear ya....The OP stated the guy WAS getting 70K so this leads me to believe this was before usm.... Hey we havn't heard from Rich lately... must be counting all of his cash....:laughing:.....These "big box" stores are being done by excavating companies up here that havn't done snow before... they're going a ok job but they're just keeping their guys busy at those rates.... just goes to show everyone, that everyones doing anything to stay above water...... stinks but like any business everything is cyclical...things WILL turn around is just WHEN they'll turn around is the question...

11. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i know one thing, when i typically make my living 8-9 months a year moving dirt...snow removal is not real high on my list. i make money at it, or don't do it. and i'd bet nation wide...there are more excavating contractors that know their cost of doing business, hourly cost of operation,etc.that are encumbered by the pickup/plow skidsteer contractor...than the other way around.

12. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Its on oxford. Im not sure if this is for a ten year contract or not. didnt really get into the specifics because i felt a little mis lead. I had just heard that he was getting 70 grand to plow it. he has an international plow truck and a backhoe with a box blade parked there. would lead me to belive thats all hes using. If thats the case id do it for 50 grand and do it with my one truck for crying out loud. Im not interested in getting that big at this point in the game. just was looking for opinions on if you guys thought that he was spoofing me so i can steer clear of the fellow.

13. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

it was said that it was this season...

14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hes BSing you.......I was offered the Auburn Wally World for 30K.....

I know the contractor 2 years back went bankrup because he didn't get paid for that oxford wally world... don't know if it was his fault or you know whos but he did file chaper 11

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've wrote.... alot if not most of the excavating cos up here like to take the winter off....times are tough and they are getting into plowing to help with their bottom lines

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The other thing to remember is even if he contracted the job for 70 grand, is he going to get paid for even 50% of it?

17. taylor6400

taylor6400 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hey all...I have been a lurker here for a while...mainly in the ATV section. But just had to register to comment about Walmart because I hate them.

Im not in the removal business so I have no idea about $ figures. What I do know is when you do business with these large corporations its dangerous. In my work we do business with some large "Big Box" stores. Not walmart, but Tractor Supply Co and Lowes. Their contracts you have to sign as a vendor are rediculous. They have the right to either with hold payment or give charge backs for anything imaginable. So, what I am hearing about them not paying a snow removal outfit makes perfect sense. This is essentially just another vendor to them. I would imagine if everything isnt perfect and up to agreement standards they will with hold at best partial payment. So, yeah, I would just be careful with these guys.

Case in point...Just this week our sales team had a meeting at TSC corporate headquarters and they were warned that they would fine the companies they worked for $500 if anyone was caught with a cell phone in the building!

18. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

That seems a little rediculous. I am always on my phone trying to get more work lining more work up calling about supplies stuff of that nature. I dont wish to be this big. I wish that my bussiness some day will be large enough to handle some of the smaller commercial places. Has anyone had experience in plowing Lamprons or Aarons and places of that nature?

19. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

70 grand is close to what they guy I sub for gets but the Walmart is very large, we are talking 3 pickups one 14 foot pusher on a back hoe and an old state highway truck for 4 hours on a 2 inch push. we also got over 100 inches here. That includes all the salt plus cleaning the areas we atack snow in

20. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

jeese. More power to him. That just seems like alot of headaches. Ive been following posts about working for them. People talking about not getting paid or their pay being held back. Just seems like you have to have ALOT of money up front. I kinda like making the 800 that i do every storm and know that when i make a phone call the check is in the mail....