Snow Plowing Forum banner

vortec heads

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  wirenut 
#1 ·
anyone have to replace their heads due to the cracking issue?? whats the casting num
is it the 862 heads or the other ones?i'm having the vanishing coolant issue...

thanks

#3 ·
they tell me it cant be intake gaskets because there's no coolant there it's dry.
i did change the wp gaskets and added the gm tablets. also my heads are 862's i think
dont know if they are the caltek (i think thats who made them) or not

thanks

#4 ·
There doesn;t have to be any visible coolant on the exterior of the engine between the intake and the heads for it to be leaking there. The coolant can and will actually dry up quick without leaving much of a trace...especially in the rear because its very tough to see there.

What year is the truck?

Do you get a coolant smell when your outside the truck?

A dye trace check will tell you where it's leaking..

#6 ·
OK, different Vortec. Your working with an LS1 style (99-up) Vortec which makes all the difference, thats why I asked the year of the truck.

No there is no coolant flow through the intake so it can't be an intake gasket leak causing the coolant loss.

Are you aware that there is/was a TSB on porosity issues with certain heads that were manufactured for GM by Castech that was related to mysterious (non external) coolant loss? The bulletin # was 06-06-01-019B.

Ever have the oil checked for coolant contamination? How much coolant are you going through?

#7 ·
yes i found that but they say it was a certain cast #
but i dont remember which one. like
i said i think mine are the 862's.
no thing in the oil as i change it every 3g
no white smoke and no real smell only one and a while
i had to put a gallon in then i changed the wp gaskets
and it was down again.

thanks for the help and info.....:drinkup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.