Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
you only need adjustment at one end of each cable. One may not even be hooked up.
I assumed since the motor makes noise when I command left and right that they're both at least hooked up. Who the heck knows. Plan is to go outside later and frog around with it. The real problem is that this thing won't fit into my heated garage with the plow on and all work must take place in the cold!

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
I assumed since the motor makes noise when I command left and right that they're both at least hooked up. Who the heck knows. Plan is to go outside later and frog around with it. The real problem is that this thing won't fit into my heated garage with the plow on and all work must take place in the cold!
unhook the angle hose on your plow and hook it in over by the other Ram so you can manually swing your plow.
Swing all the way over to the driver side
When you pull up to the door pull up to it at a angle putting the passenger side going in the door first
when you have that side of the plow just inside the door crank your wheels all the way to the right and drive over as close to right hand side as you can you should be able to straighten the plow out and now it’ll be inside of the door now drive in
That’s how I get my 10 foot plow into my 8 foot door
Or
Take the plow off hook & the angle hose back to the other fitting on the unit.

You’ll be able to hear the difference between the pump deadheading and the fluid running through the hose.

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
Take from it what you want it still gives you the instructions on how to adjust the cables,

I wouldn’t think it would take you more than an hour or 2 of fiddling with it, with little help from the guide in the instructions to get it working.
Correctly.

If nothing else in there is worn or out of adjustment.

I can understand your apprehension but most of those O-rings can be found at your local lumberyard hardware fix it store.
And unless they were damaged they’re reusable

Well I guess when you get out there and adjust your cables you’ll find out if there’s any slop for if something else is going on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Well, thanks to you guys and the manuals you provided I got the nerve to go out and start investigating.

Ya needs to take the cover off where the angle cable goes in and see if it is moving the valve.
I always hated working on those old units.
This here was the winner. Thanks my good man.

Turns out that the valve lever in the linkage enclosure was rusted solid. Commands to angle left or right were getting through the cable to the valve lever but the valve lever wouldn't budge. In the video below you can see that with the cable disconnected from the valve lever, it moved exactly like it's supposed to but the lever was stuck with rust. I took it apart and sprayed a generous amount of penetrating oil in there and started moving it back and forth with channel locks until it came free. A lot more penetrant and some fluid film and it was working just like new. I reattached the cable, hopped in and it angles beautifully now.

Can't thank you guys enough for helping. As of right now she's fully functional. I'm going to try to find some new gaskets for the angle and up/down linkage enclosures so I know moisture won't get in there anymore. Thanks again everyone.

My next project will be getting some lights hooked up.

<iframe src="IMG_8843.MOV" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Vehicle brake Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Congrats!. Those are just old paper,composite flat gasket, get a roll or sheet from a parts store and cut some out with scissors. Or just cut some out of a beer box,lol.
Looks like a few pieces of angle iron, a harbor freight welder,you could have some brackets for lights. And you can get a OK set of lights,wiring and all, for under $200.

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
as mentioned you can make them out of a 12 pack cardboard but I’d still cover them lightly with something, like goop….

Or if you’re really stingy with the goop you could goop around where the gasket was let it dry for a bit and then reassemble.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
No, 2 separate functions the joystick grounds to complete the circuit inside the controller.
AND moves the cable to move the valve.
The "loop" is very important in the cable,no sharp bends or angles.
Seem to remember that one cable was no longer available the last time I had to replace them. A long time ago.
So we had to use the other one for both.
Mine was very problem free,used for over 15 years. Sold it to a friend who still uses it at his place today.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Clean that cavity out and smear some grease in it.
No sharp bends in the cables. The cables are also where the ground current goes when you operate the plow.
There is alittle three finger brass part in the controller that makes the contact, I have seen them break.
I still have them, somewhere. Also have a brand new Western controller/cable assembly in stock, collecting dust.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Clean that cavity out and smear some grease in it.
No sharp bends in the cables. The cables are also where the ground current goes when you operate the plow.
There is alittle three finger brass part in the controller that makes the contact, I have seen them break.
I still have them, somewhere. Also have a brand new Western controller/cable assembly in stock, collecting dust.
Like Randall said but pack that cavity full of grease. Water can leak into it and freeze. Seal where the cable goes in also.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I used to use that set up for many years. Like previously stated it was a great simple long lasting set up!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts