Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm sure this has been covered before and I did search but I could not find anything relevant to such an old setup.

This is an 85 F250 and I think the plow setup is from the 70's. I just bought this truck over the summer and today was the first day I hooked the plow up and tried to use it.

The plow goes up and down perfectly (I plowed my driveway with ease), but when I command left or right angle I can hear the pump making noise but nothing happens. I topped off the fluid a few days ago by adding fluid to the fill hole until it started to run out. The one quick connect on the left ram leaks a bit but nothing terrible. I can manually push the plow left and right quite easily.

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue might be? Could I have air in the system? Bad valve? Am I missing a proper fluid top-off procedure? Hell I'm not even positive I hooked the hydraulic lines up to the angle rams properly.

Like I said, lots of reports of this happening on this forum but I couldn't find anything pertaining to a setup and pump this old. Thanks for any help!
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Snow Water Wood

Automotive tire Water Motor vehicle Hood Wood

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Line Bicycle part

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Tar Gas

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Snow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all, especially MoutainBob and Western1. I appreciate the links to the manuals. Those valve schematics are greek to me, I always was a "watch someone else and then repeat" kind of learner. I'll read over the manuals and see if I can make sense of the cable adjustments before I tear into the valves I guess.

Not a Ferd guy, but that is a pretty clean looking truck. Where’d you find it/buy it out of? Interesting use of the quick connect on the hoses, too.
I'm not a Ferd guy either but I always wanted an old school diesel 4x4 with a 4-speed and this one found me. It's a 6.9 IDI diesel with a T19 4-speed and I absolutely love it, it's like driving an old school bus. I found it in Denver Colorado and had it shipped all the way back to me in Central New York State. Spent all summer rebuilding the front end and changing bushings, bearings, brakes and joints front and rear. Did a Ford 3G alternator upgrade, new radiator, fuel system maintenance, heater core, etc. It's a great running old-school truck. I just gotta get a plow headlight setup figured out.

That's why I was kind of heartbroken when I finally got a snowstorm up here and found the plow wouldn't angle (I plowed with it anyway). Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a old cable unit. You may have to adjust the cables.
Can't seem to find anything in the manual about how or when to adjust the cables. Guess I'll have to open up the 4-way valve to see if they're responding to the commands before I decide I need to adjust them. But like I said, when I command left or right angle the pump is making some noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
you only need adjustment at one end of each cable. One may not even be hooked up.
I assumed since the motor makes noise when I command left and right that they're both at least hooked up. Who the heck knows. Plan is to go outside later and frog around with it. The real problem is that this thing won't fit into my heated garage with the plow on and all work must take place in the cold!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Well, thanks to you guys and the manuals you provided I got the nerve to go out and start investigating.

Ya needs to take the cover off where the angle cable goes in and see if it is moving the valve.
I always hated working on those old units.
This here was the winner. Thanks my good man.

Turns out that the valve lever in the linkage enclosure was rusted solid. Commands to angle left or right were getting through the cable to the valve lever but the valve lever wouldn't budge. In the video below you can see that with the cable disconnected from the valve lever, it moved exactly like it's supposed to but the lever was stuck with rust. I took it apart and sprayed a generous amount of penetrating oil in there and started moving it back and forth with channel locks until it came free. A lot more penetrant and some fluid film and it was working just like new. I reattached the cable, hopped in and it angles beautifully now.

Can't thank you guys enough for helping. As of right now she's fully functional. I'm going to try to find some new gaskets for the angle and up/down linkage enclosures so I know moisture won't get in there anymore. Thanks again everyone.

My next project will be getting some lights hooked up.

<iframe src="IMG_8843.MOV" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Vehicle brake Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts