Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
The last person I would listen to about the effectiveness of a plow is a engineer.Once again information is coming out of ignorence and not experience,but like I have said that pretty much par for the course here.

Boss V opinions

Hey Dig,

Everyone has an opinion, you know the rest. Neither you, nor I, or ANYONE on this board knows it all, AGREED?

Following is a posting found on the TDR forum(turbo diesel register), about Dodge diesels. Just another persons view...

Topic: boss v_plows,,do not get
TOM'STRUCK
posted 10-14-2000 12:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ok guys this is the woman speaking again...I have the 96 and 99 with boss v plows on them. I figured they are costly but will work great. Do not have to chase the snow all over on clean ups. I live in Ohio and snow is not always that bad but this is a warning to all who want the BOSS V-plows,,,,save your money and get the fisher straight blades. On both my units I have messed up the center pins by touching, yes i baby my trucks, spots in the driveways that have that little lip,,,now most plows( not boss) will trip over these with no problem but the BOSS just knockes the heck out of you, even at slow speed , and never trips...I know this is long but trust me GUYS SAVE your money buy something extra for the wife and kids and leave the V-plow for those who have money to throw away....Oh and one more thought the warrenties do not cover this because they consider it abuse..lol i can tell when every crack and creves are on all my lots and never did any damage to my fisher plows...Hope you all read this befour you buy... "

Again, this is not MY opinion. I haven't owned anything but a Fisher, but that doesn't mean I don't like the looks of the Boss V. Still concerned on the trip issue.

BTW...Got that double secret test fixture done yet?? I need those measurements on the current draw for my kindergarten project ASAP. Ya know..SOME of US aren't out playin with our TOYS lately!!! It still hasn't snowed here yet.

Dave

I will agree that I don't know everything,but when it comes to Boss plows Im pretty close.I have eight that I mounted and service myself,and I have been using them for almost 5 to 6 years.We don't even treat our plows nice we abuse the heck out of them and have some wear to show but I don't think that any other plow out there will hold up as as well,period.But thats my opinion because I have always seen the weakness in the western and meyers and have never owned more than one or two.

Speaking purely from hearsay (just kidding),
If you can bring yourself to buy used equipment, it is alot cheaper.
Now before the chowderheads start the slamming, let me make my disclaimers.......

1)Top prority in buying ANYTHING used is: know where it came from & who had it, how it was treated, etc. That is biggest concern.
2)Anything used SHOULD cost less, but be advised that means it has wear & tear. HOW MUCH wear & tear is the issue when determining price. See if it is wore out, or has been welded, fixed up, etc. Are you buying slightly used, or a fixer-upper?
3)When you take ownership, sooner or later something will break, same as a new one. Maybe a little sooner, perhaps.

That being said, you should use your options scoping out other contractors, classifieds, etc. Some of these guys who thought they were buying a gold mine realized 'hey this is work staying up all night', or 'man, this thing seems hard on my truck', or 'geez it doesn't snow enough to justify the cost of this thing. Many great deals have arisen from these kinds of circumstances.
Both of my plows were purchased used. I have a Meyers AND a Boss V-plow for my 2 Chevy's. I had to replace a cylinder for the Boss on the right wing; the original started leaking after 10 years (It may have had a seal kit replaced since then). That cost $100.
I speak of the values of used equip. because I have been fortunate to have found good deals on used stuff. I bought the Boss plow with the 79 Chevy attatched to it for $1000. Now tell me where you can beat that, outside of buying from family. I got it swapped to my new shortbed, & it has been busy this winter. It goes out if I only need one truck, because the scoop is invaluable for cleanup.
The Meyers I bought in pieces. The plow was purchased from a guy near Lake Erie, & the tower near home, & the wires/hoses stuff from a dealer, & lights too. So for about $1100, I had a almost new setup, with the tower & hardware being powder coated. It works well, & it's strengths are for wide area clearing in a bigger lot, while the Boss cleans out the nooks & crannies & does the prep work so the meyers can make the long runs.
Of the 2 the Boss is DEFINTIELY tougher & a better plow. As for the little lip that catches on everything, you prob. should backdrag that area or bump it up a little. Gas stations are famous for this; that's why I don't have any. I try to get clean smooth accounts-when possible. Best bet would be to keep one Boss & trade the other for a straight plow, & let that one do the nasty stuff. That's what I do, & it works great. Also, know you're terrain as best you can, before it gets covered in white, if possible. I try to memorize all the surprises before I start the plowing year, but I always find a few I forgot.
Around this area, the big 3 area Meyers, Boss, & Western. More Meyers than anything becuz they are cheap (affordable to part timers), & easy to get parts, as we all know cuz they wear out fast. Also cuz a number of guys are 'cautious' about that 'complicated v-thing with all the hassle of extra controls, etc.'. Alot of Bosses for us contractor types, despite the fact that the only nearby dealer is about 45 miles away on twisty 2 lane country roads. Not the best for winter travel to get parts, even if you take the 4x4. Westerns are present, but scarce, cuz if you don't get a v-plow, you might as well get a Meyers (for parts availability sake here in town).
Well, that's my story & I'm stickin to it. Sorry it was so long, but lots of info to offer.

I agree w/ Dig. We're pretty tough on our Bosses and they've never let us down. Most of the time I know where the ruts and curbs are and can ease up on the gas or raise the plow a bit. Guess it's just my skill as a plower. Guess the 'tougher' frames or trip edges on the Western or other plows can help to compensate for lack of skill as an operator(?) or maybe it just takes a little more practice(?)

Put a straight blade on your truck and carry snow with a ProTech and a loader. We have had five Boss V's. They are a relatively good plow as long as you know ahead of time you will spend more money on repairs on one than a straight blade. You will have cracks around the hinges and you will lose the full angle of the blade after you catch an obstacle on the outside corner of the wing. All in all, they are a good plow but you won't be sorry with a loader and snow pusher.

I totally agree with Mark, Snow Pushers are the way to go I personally have never had a V-Plow but I do own 5 Straight blades, 4 Fisher 1 Meyers and 1 Pro-Tech pusher and with the pusher teamed up with a truck it is an unstoppable plowing team. I looked into getting one of those Avalanche pushers for a pick up truck that mount on any frame but they wanted over $3,000 for just the pusher pickup model, have any of you guys tried one of the pickup model pushers? Just MY Two Cents

Once again I have to laugh, that people are so quick to knock a product they have never used. It just stands to reason that just maybe, someone else has improved upon the boss idea. I have spoken with many boss operators and they all say the same thing. The plow will beat the living **** out of you and the truck. The trip edge design if nothing else, is a good back up just in case. Now I am sure the boss is a great plow, and if the operators are carefull enough to not hit all the little obstacles that are hidden, then I am sure it wont hurt the truck. I have never seen an operator capapble of this, no matter how good they are. So again just extra insurance of a trip edge is just good sense.
If like the boss I think that is great. But when someone is weighing the issue between to different plows, then I think that it is only prudent to show both the strenghts and weaknesses of both plows. Again just because you like the non trip action of the boss doesnt mean everyone will. If the western and fisher were only one year old, I could see some skeptisism, but thyer are now on the 5th winter with no major problems, will they last as long as your boss plows, I dont know, they havent been around as long, but so far so good.
If your only experience has been with straight plow westerns, then you are missing the point. The western v plow is totally different than a straight blade western. They use a different trip design and power unit. the only shared components are the uni mount.
I have no ajendato sell western plows over boss. They both make good plows, but IMO the trip edge is key on a v plow. And if the boss engineer agrees with that, than that should tell you something. If the guy who builds and designs it, thinks that the trip edge is a good idea, than he may be onto something.
Dino

Wow that could be the best seminonbiased post I have ever seen you write Dino,I didn't laugh once,there may be hope for you yet.

Dino; I actually have no problem w/ the Western V's, and you are right; I've never used one. But in regards to the Boss plows, we've never had an issue w/ them or w/ our trucks. Maybe the wrong guys are named plowking here?????

Wow I don't think I've ever been there,maybe I ned to retire my badge theres a new sheriff in town.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.