Snow Plowing Forum banner

v-plow help!!

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Deere John 
#1 ·
I am stuck with a hard situation here. The Boss 9' 2" and Western MVP 9' 6" are my finnalists but they both have some differences!

BOSS 9'2"

- Full triping
- heavier mouldboard 11gauge
- doesn't come with
rubber deflecter
- has joystick control
- no locking cylinders
for back draging

Western MVP 9'6"

- Triping edge
- mouldboard 12gauge
- comes with rubber deflecter
- has a hand held controler
- looks like it comes with
locking cylinders

There seems to be lots of talk on this board with v-plow operators being pleased with thier systems.

this is a hard dissition for me alone, any help with this topic would be highly appreciated.

[Edited by CHATAWAY on 12-23-2000 at 06:19 PM]

See less See more
#2 ·
This is my first year on my Boss 8', but I really do love it. The standard three switch controlls really are a natural, and it took no time to get the hang of them. The cylinders lock for back dragging, although I have a rear plow and never backdrag with the Boss.

Its built like a tank, and seems to hold up very well to the everyday abuse.

Flip a coin and go buy either one of them. You'll never regret it either way.

Once again, as everyone here has said before, go to the best dealer, that will be more important in the future than what name is on the front of the plow.

#4 ·
I would go with the closest dealer, if there was one!!!

the so called dealers here just order anything when needed no parts or plows in stock. Nice bussness hey, and the prices are no comparison to your areas ( $7000can for a v-plow and that is uninstalled $750 installation)

closest dealer that seems to know and stock product is over 1000kms away ( if I leave this afternoon should be back christmass morning!!!) and if something is missing for the install, it is not like running back to get the part. But I'm willing to take my chances...

thanks guys

BTW I hear the Boss plow can backdrag for little distances
30ft or so before going to the scoop postion, this is probablly all you would need in order to get infront of the snow.

#5 ·
Every BOSS Power-V Plow is available with our optional SmartLock™ cylinders–to keep your blade locked securely in the Straight-position when backdragging. And all without slowing your plow down the way double-acting cylinders do.

This is off the BOSS website.

#8 ·
PlowKing

I nerver realized this, so Western has no v-plow to mate with a dodge one ton then!!

I can just see it get the Boss now then next year they improve that trip on the blade.

I have seen the lobo v-plow (will work on one ton duallies) and for what they want for it just can not be justified. the plow looked very light duty, and all the talk is about this speacial Down Pressure System. (Just found out this plow too is full trip also)

#11 ·
I realize that the 8.5 v-plow will fit but at full angle it only clears 7 1/2 feet,a truck with dual rear wheels are 8 feet wide. 6inches plus what ever spills back will be driven over giving the truck less tracktion ect..

On the Western web site there is no mention that their 9 1/2 v-plow is so limited to certain trucks. I have heard it has a heavier duty mount and is over a 1000lbs.

#12 ·
I plow with 2 dual wheel trucks with the 8.5 mvp, and the tire issue is minmal at worst. Trust me, compared to the pounding your truck will take with a boss v plow, the 6" one way or another wont really matter. You have to be on a very sharp curve for the tires to track outside the plowed lane.
Dino

#13 ·
Haven't bothered stopping by in a while been too busy. After plowing for several weeks straight, I think of all my friends here when the wings on my Boss fold back and the blade trips I realize that I am conversing with several people who have their own agendas based solely on ignorance and very little fact.Hope alot of you guys go out get a little experience before making wild hare brained statements.

I edited out the personal attacks. Please try to get along. I am not allowed to leave personal attacks on any forum.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 12-26-2000 at 02:01 AM]

#14 ·
Here we go again!

The only thing I want to know is that every time it snows, all of the shops are filled with Meyer and Western plow owners/operators waiting for repairs. Not one Boss owner in the bunch. Go figure.

#15 ·
Boss doesn't have a lot of dealers in Maine. I have yet to ever see a Boss plow. So I have nothing really negative or posisitive to say about them. However IMO I have serious thoughts about the full trip design on any blade straight or V. Now I have grown up on trip edges plows so I kinda lean that way.

Geoff

#16 ·
Well, in all my plowing all I've ever used were Western straight blades, (full trip), and now the Boss, (full trip).

Never been much of an issue with any of us. Can't imagine that its a problem with some people. Maybe it depends on your plowing style.

#17 ·
Here is another way to look at. Fisher is Built and Maine, and Diamond was built in Maine. So me and my fellow Mainer's lean toward the products built in our state.

I think Western is built in the mid west, so a lot of guys form the mid west use them.

Maybe it a local thing? Just my guess. All I know is I can count on 2 hands how many wester, meyer, and boss plows I have sean in my the past 5 years, and I have sean a lot of Maine.

Geoff

#18 ·
Here in CT we see lots of different plows. For the most part I have always run fisher cause I liked how there framed looked and were built before the removable style came in. I still think they have the best blades for stacking and handling heavy snow. Now with the removable headgears looks don't matter and most subframe are pretty much the same as far as mounting points. Around me plow dealers come and go with the season. I stick with Fishers cause I can swap them around on my trucks and they hold up well. I am about to buy a Meyer for my small truck so we will see. I may end up buying a Fisher blade for it and weld on new ears if I am no satisfied with the meyer.
This is just my two cents.

#19 ·
I have never seen a western go down during a storm. their a frame and quadrant are very strong. On the v plow they are even stronger. On the boss plow I am sure they are built very strong, they have to be to take the pounding from having a poorly designed trip mechanism. Once again I will repeat what a boss engineer told me. We know we have a poor design, but it will cost to much to change it. If that doesnt settle the issue than what will. It is a design issue pue and simple. Just because you like to pound your truck, doesnt mean it isnt a viable problem. For me I will use the wimpy trip edge and keep my trucks in one piece.
I am not uneducated, in fact due to the fact that I have spoken at length to a boss engineer, might make more educated that others. Glad you got snow.
Dino

#20 ·
OK - my (very good) Boss dealer has been flogging the Boss for 12 years. He said ( in the heat of the sales pitch for me to buy the first one for me) two years ago that he just saw the first Boss pump come into his shop in 10 years for a true rebuild due to a wear situation. He has had others in prior to that due to abuse and collision, but it was 10 years before a truly worn out pump came in.

Just his relation to me

BTW, we ended up believing the sales pitch and the product. No westerns or fishers or (Yikes) Hinekers in the area. Actually, if Boss were not available, we would have gone with more Arctics, because of the dealer and the reasonable quality of the Arctics.

As and aside, I had the opportunity to chat up the Artic sales dude this summer, I beat him up about not building me a vee plow, and his response was that, as a former Fisher employee, the direction he wanted to see Arctic go was to chase the Fisher markets in Eastern Ontario and Quebec. I told him my straight blade days were over; build me a vee and I will buy lots, and he told me to buy Bosses. Go figure.

His name was John ____. Do you know him Geoff???? He was pretty stubborn, and not very concerned about his loyal customers. In otherwords, I didn't care for him too much, and my dealer even had less flattering things to say about him.

[Edited by Deere John on 12-26-2000 at 04:12 AM]

#21 ·
The last person I would listen to about the effectiveness of a plow is a engineer.Once again information is coming out of ignorence and not experience,but like I have said that pretty much par for the course here.

#22 ·
Boss V opinions

Hey Dig,

Everyone has an opinion, you know the rest. Neither you, nor I, or ANYONE on this board knows it all, AGREED?

Following is a posting found on the TDR forum(turbo diesel register), about Dodge diesels. Just another persons view...

Topic: boss v_plows,,do not get
TOM'STRUCK
posted 10-14-2000 12:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ok guys this is the woman speaking again...I have the 96 and 99 with boss v plows on them. I figured they are costly but will work great. Do not have to chase the snow all over on clean ups. I live in Ohio and snow is not always that bad but this is a warning to all who want the BOSS V-plows,,,,save your money and get the fisher straight blades. On both my units I have messed up the center pins by touching, yes i baby my trucks, spots in the driveways that have that little lip,,,now most plows( not boss) will trip over these with no problem but the BOSS just knockes the heck out of you, even at slow speed , and never trips...I know this is long but trust me GUYS SAVE your money buy something extra for the wife and kids and leave the V-plow for those who have money to throw away....Oh and one more thought the warrenties do not cover this because they consider it abuse..lol i can tell when every crack and creves are on all my lots and never did any damage to my fisher plows...Hope you all read this befour you buy... "

Again, this is not MY opinion. I haven't owned anything but a Fisher, but that doesn't mean I don't like the looks of the Boss V. Still concerned on the trip issue.

BTW...Got that double secret test fixture done yet?? I need those measurements on the current draw for my kindergarten project ASAP. Ya know..SOME of US aren't out playin with our TOYS lately!!! It still hasn't snowed here yet.

Dave

#23 ·
I will agree that I don't know everything,but when it comes to Boss plows Im pretty close.I have eight that I mounted and service myself,and I have been using them for almost 5 to 6 years.We don't even treat our plows nice we abuse the heck out of them and have some wear to show but I don't think that any other plow out there will hold up as as well,period.But thats my opinion because I have always seen the weakness in the western and meyers and have never owned more than one or two.

#24 ·
Speaking purely from hearsay (just kidding),
If you can bring yourself to buy used equipment, it is alot cheaper.
Now before the chowderheads start the slamming, let me make my disclaimers.......

1)Top prority in buying ANYTHING used is: know where it came from & who had it, how it was treated, etc. That is biggest concern.
2)Anything used SHOULD cost less, but be advised that means it has wear & tear. HOW MUCH wear & tear is the issue when determining price. See if it is wore out, or has been welded, fixed up, etc. Are you buying slightly used, or a fixer-upper?
3)When you take ownership, sooner or later something will break, same as a new one. Maybe a little sooner, perhaps.

That being said, you should use your options scoping out other contractors, classifieds, etc. Some of these guys who thought they were buying a gold mine realized 'hey this is work staying up all night', or 'man, this thing seems hard on my truck', or 'geez it doesn't snow enough to justify the cost of this thing. Many great deals have arisen from these kinds of circumstances.
Both of my plows were purchased used. I have a Meyers AND a Boss V-plow for my 2 Chevy's. I had to replace a cylinder for the Boss on the right wing; the original started leaking after 10 years (It may have had a seal kit replaced since then). That cost $100.
I speak of the values of used equip. because I have been fortunate to have found good deals on used stuff. I bought the Boss plow with the 79 Chevy attatched to it for $1000. Now tell me where you can beat that, outside of buying from family. I got it swapped to my new shortbed, & it has been busy this winter. It goes out if I only need one truck, because the scoop is invaluable for cleanup.
The Meyers I bought in pieces. The plow was purchased from a guy near Lake Erie, & the tower near home, & the wires/hoses stuff from a dealer, & lights too. So for about $1100, I had a almost new setup, with the tower & hardware being powder coated. It works well, & it's strengths are for wide area clearing in a bigger lot, while the Boss cleans out the nooks & crannies & does the prep work so the meyers can make the long runs.
Of the 2 the Boss is DEFINTIELY tougher & a better plow. As for the little lip that catches on everything, you prob. should backdrag that area or bump it up a little. Gas stations are famous for this; that's why I don't have any. I try to get clean smooth accounts-when possible. Best bet would be to keep one Boss & trade the other for a straight plow, & let that one do the nasty stuff. That's what I do, & it works great. Also, know you're terrain as best you can, before it gets covered in white, if possible. I try to memorize all the surprises before I start the plowing year, but I always find a few I forgot.
Around this area, the big 3 area Meyers, Boss, & Western. More Meyers than anything becuz they are cheap (affordable to part timers), & easy to get parts, as we all know cuz they wear out fast. Also cuz a number of guys are 'cautious' about that 'complicated v-thing with all the hassle of extra controls, etc.'. Alot of Bosses for us contractor types, despite the fact that the only nearby dealer is about 45 miles away on twisty 2 lane country roads. Not the best for winter travel to get parts, even if you take the 4x4. Westerns are present, but scarce, cuz if you don't get a v-plow, you might as well get a Meyers (for parts availability sake here in town).
Well, that's my story & I'm stickin to it. Sorry it was so long, but lots of info to offer.

#25 ·
I agree w/ Dig. We're pretty tough on our Bosses and they've never let us down. Most of the time I know where the ruts and curbs are and can ease up on the gas or raise the plow a bit. Guess it's just my skill as a plower. Guess the 'tougher' frames or trip edges on the Western or other plows can help to compensate for lack of skill as an operator(?) or maybe it just takes a little more practice(?)

#26 ·
Put a straight blade on your truck and carry snow with a ProTech and a loader. We have had five Boss V's. They are a relatively good plow as long as you know ahead of time you will spend more money on repairs on one than a straight blade. You will have cracks around the hinges and you will lose the full angle of the blade after you catch an obstacle on the outside corner of the wing. All in all, they are a good plow but you won't be sorry with a loader and snow pusher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.