• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Utv bed salter

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
So western does have a .7 also it is 22" longer so wont fit my utv. Dont really have a snow ex dealer here just boss and western so that affected my decision. And this is my nicest piece of equipment so far.
Looking at that pic again that spreader is really short... The 3/4yd salt mutt I had filled the back of a Toolcat. Not sure if the Kubota has a shorter bed or not... Sharp setup all together though!

m_ice

2000 Club Member
Looking at that pic again that spreader is really short... The 3/4yd salt mutt I had filled the back of a Toolcat. Not sure if the Kubota has a shorter bed or not... Sharp setup all together though!
I bet you loaded it with a loader and spilled less than 5 gallon bucket

OP
T

Treeboy

Oh it is super short 30" needs to b 40" long its wider than it is long. I think its 40" wide. Probably hard to load even with mini skid. I do need to see if my dingo can load it or how far it is from loading. When i first saw how short it was i was disappointed but its a place for a back pack blower. And im just going to have to find what its good for.

Fourteen Contracting Inc.

PlowSite.com Addict
While this is getting a bit off the topic of an in-bed salter,,,,

As an engineer, I cannot recommend that anyone defeat a safety device.

However, in the interest of investigating what makes snowblowers clogs I decided after the first year of using the blower (2012) to conduct an experiment to test my hypothesis that removal of that grate would improve performance. I am still gathering data and thus have not put the grate back on, but all of it so far is very consistent.

The worst clogging that I experienced before my experiment was when I would happily blow a path down the driveway, with everything working, and then tried to go through the salted heavy snow pushed up by the township plows at the end. Instant clog.

My experiment has also revealed that removal of the screen had an additional benefit of making removal of any clogs much easier. Previously, I had basically been reduced to jamming a broomstick through the grate from the front to pry some snow out the top, or from the top to force the snow down the chute and back through the impeller.

Now, a garden trowel makes short work in the rare event that a clog happens.
I'll wager that this data set is going to span many years of winter conditions in order to provide the proper information to reach a conclusion..... for the sake of accuracy of course.