Using remote start

16hdsport

Hey guys my 2016 2500 Chevy is equipped for the factory remote start system. When Iattach my boss super duty to the front and use the remote start the headlights on the plowframe come on. When I don't have the plow attached and I use remote start the truckheadlights do not come on, only the parking lights. My question is, is it normal operation forthe headlights on the plow frame to come on when using the factory remote start

OP

16hdsport

I understand that, the more I thought about it, the more I figured it might be more Chevy specific rather than specific to a Boss plow. So I figured I'd put it in both sections.

seville009

PlowSite.com Addict
For what it’s worth, on my Fords, the headlights (plow or truck) do not come on with the remote start (unless I have the headlight switch set to auto). Only the parking lights come on.

Have they always done this? If the plow was just installed by a dealer, have them check the wiring.

Having the come on doesn’t really hurt anything; actually helps melt any snow off them.

OP

16hdsport

Apparently it's the daytime running lamps, they get the power to the plow lights from the trucks parking lights. So it makes sense now

MXZ1983

Apparently it's the daytime running lamps, they get the power to the plow lights from the trucks parking lights. So it makes sense now
Still doesn't sound correct.
When remote started your parking lights on the plow and truck should be on. No headlights.
DRL doesn't come on until you put the truck in gear. Then the headlights on the plow should come on if hooked up. The plow is supposed to match the truck for light wise.
From what you're saying if you are in the truck and driving, and turn off the DRL lights and turn on the parking or marker lights, then the headlights will come on on the plow.... not correct.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Still doesn't sound correct.
When remote started your parking lights on the plow and truck should be on. No headlights.
DRL doesn't come on until you put the truck in gear. Then the headlights on the plow should come on if hooked up. The plow is supposed to match the truck for light wise.
From what you're saying if you are in the truck and driving, and turn off the DRL lights and turn on the parking or marker lights, then the headlights will come on on the plow.... not correct.

I believe that what he is saying is:

When the upfitter installed his wiring, he hooked the DRL power up wire for the plow DRL lights to the parking light wiring on the truck side.

MXZ1983

Should I have any concern or worry with it being wired that way
No concern, only thing that would bother me is if you are ever somewhere and want to turn off the headlights on the plow and just have marker lights on truck and plow you can't. The plow headlights will still be on. Sometimes it's easier for me to plow with parking lights only in our private lots.

OP

16hdsport

They definitely hooked the daytime running lamps into the parking lights. I just went out and hooked up. I was able to confirm whenever the parking lights come on the daytime running lights come on. When the parking lights go off the daytime running lamps go off. The whole thing makes sense now, as the parking lights come on with remote start. I just wonder if all 2500 Chevys with boss plows are wired this way

seville009

PlowSite.com Addict
I’d have them fix it to how it should and check everything else again, just because you don’t want other possible electrical issues popping up later that may exist because they wired other parts incorrectly too. Tell them you want another installer to check it all over. Probably no issues, but if it were me, I’d do it just for peace if mind

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
As I said in your other thread on this topic, I do not hook up DRL when I install a plow. I run my markers all the time and do not care for my DRLs to be on. I would unhook that as when I am plowing, I do not run headlights.

Now on to the task at hand. Mind you, I am not a boss guy, but I am a GM guy so if someone that has done a boss install can confirm, that would be great. Since 2015 body style change on western harness, there is no longer any splicing. All lighting is done via unhooking main headlight harness and plugging in the western harness in line. Anyone know if boss is that way now?

If it is... On a western fleet flex harness, there is a pink DRL two plug by the isolation module. This is for the DRL. If you flip the plug one way, your DRL works, flip the other way, the DRL do not work. If you have somthing like that, start there.

Top Forums