Using plow as counterweight for spreader?

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
Since I'm over loaded on the rear of the truck with my loaded spreader, should I always have the plow on when I salt? Same concept as the ballast for plows, but opposite, with the spreader?

I don't really want to say how much overweight I am:rolleyes:, but the truck handled the weight fine, with the blade on. I haven't tried it without, but we're going to get some rain events this weekend, that will turn to ice. Don't really like driving around with the plow on if I don't need it, but will if I need to.

JustJeff

PlowSite Veteran
Damn, how'd that happen? Okay, what I was saying was, when I was driving my '13 with the air bags last year, I didn't need the plow as counterweight at all, because I didn't get any squat. But with my new '17, I get lots of squat, and my headlights point up at the sky. So, until I get the airbags installed within the next few weeks, I keep the blade on when just salting too. Besides, it's probably a good habit to get into (leaving the blade on), so you can clean up any spots in your parking lots where you need to. I've got a couple of commercial accounts with flat roofs, and when the wind blows, it covers up certain areas of the parking lots over and over, even though the rest of the parking lot still looks great.

OP
JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
Damn, how'd that happen? Okay, what I was saying was, when I was driving my '13 with the air bags last year, I didn't need the plow as counterweight at all, because I didn't get any squat. But with my new '17, I get lots of squat, and my headlights point up at the sky. So, until I get the airbags installed within the next few weeks, I keep the blade on when just salting too. Besides, it's probably a good habit to get into (leaving the blade on), so you can clean up any spots in your parking lots where you need to. I've got a couple of commercial accounts with flat roofs, and when the wind blows, it covers up certain areas of the parking lots over and over, even though the rest of the parking lot still looks great.
Alright thanks. I put off the airbags because the truck handled the spreader pretty good with the plow on, but I didn't think about it being off until recently. I need to get my **** in gear and get those airbags. They'd be nice when I haul trailers too.

Hysert

PlowSite.com Addict
I think it would depend on what truck your using? I prefer if it's just a salt run to run without the blade on, less to watch for and IMO less weight on the truck the better! We run a 550 with 3.5yrd it takes the weight nicely!! Tho like Jeff said drifting roofs and no plow sucks!!

Top Forums