Using Holder style front PTO tractor for long residential driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frank Reynolds, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds Junior Member

I'm in a high snowfall zone, plowing multiple 1000 foot long single lane gravel driveways up on forested lots, that typically end in a tight parking areas around big houses. We've been using a plow truck and occasionally pay for a loader to come push back piles. It's okay until we have a few storms stack up, then snow storage can be an issue.

I'm looking to step up my game and offer a higher end service for the high end houses around here. I'm looking at getting a Holder C9.xxH tractor with front mount snow blower, as an alternative to a skid steer/blower setup, or another bigger plow.

I understand the basic differences. I think the final product will be much better especially around the houses. I'm more concerned with speed and efficiency on the long driveways. How do they compare to a plow? Has anyone switched from plowing to using Holder blowers exclusively for rural residential type work, long private drives etc? Feedback from someone who has done this before me would be greatly appreciated.

2. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

3. OP
    OP
    Frank Reynolds

Thanks, I did start by searching this forum and others and I didn't find too much info. I did see those threads you linked to above and a few others, but as you said there isn't much response.

So that's why I made a new thread and am looking for some new input hopefully from someone who has started in the last couple of years.

4. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Had a trackless and a bomby, the trackless is similar to the holder but more reliable. The Bomby is a track machine with a auto 3 sp. The holder and trackless are hydrostat.

You won't be able to blow as fast as you can plow but won't have to worry about moving snow with a loader. When you say speed if your talking about roading from Job to Job the trackless will run 30 MPH I'm assuming the holder will do the same or close in high gear. Never owned a holder and never would the trackless are better and easier to get parts for. Good Luck

Frank Reynolds and SHAWZER like this.
  5. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

At what point does storage become an issue?
    30% into the season?
    50%?
    I ask because if its later in the season can you plow with a holder then switch to the blower later in the year?
    If you're getting deep into the season before it's an issue then maybe food for thought.

The blowing is going to be alot slower than plowing.

6. SHAWZER

SHAWZER 2000 Club Member

Good advice above , you can plow and - or blow with either machine . I would buy a Trackless before a Holder .

Frank Reynolds and FredG like this.
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

You bet, among other things the trackless is Canadian built verses Europe.

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER 2000 Club Member

Do not buy a Trackless MT 4 series machine . They only made them a few years and had lots of problems with a different pump make and setup .

Frank Reynolds and FredG like this.
  9. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing Member

The main benefit of a holder tractor is visibility while backing up as well as salt capacity. We have not run trackless due to it not having good visibility, we have lots of sites that require lots of reversing. Not having a large salt capacity is also an issue, if you get the salt dump visibility will be reduced even further.

Holder tractors love electrical issues and intermittent ones at that. The machine can give you trouble for an hour can't get it to go forward or backwards for example. Once you get it back to the shop sometimes you will get no issues and you can spend hours trying to replicate with no result.

Some issues with holder tractor 9700 -9.88
    • Deutz engine has a timing belt (supposed to get changed every 3000 hours or 5 years)
    • Hydraulic pump is belt driven
    • The new forward reverse switch are junk and are 94 CAD
    • Wiper motor transmission is too weak if you use it full time it will wear our
    • Tractor doesn't throw much heat, fan is under powered

Holder 992
    • Cab is small
    • Have to lift the cab to change most hoses
    • A lot more hoses on the machine since the control handle is electronic, not hydraulic like the older model.
    • Accelerator pedal constantly sticks from salt and dirt and rust
    • Deutz engine has a timing belt (supposed to get changed every 3000 hours or 5 years)
    • Hydraulic pump is belt driven

Frank Reynolds likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Frank Reynolds

Thanks a lot UpNorthMowing.

It sounds like you have a love/hate relationship with Holders. Do you still run plows too or are you exclusively running Holder blowers?

UpNorthMowing likes this.
  11. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

My dream driveway machine.
    This is bigger than a Holder but I would imagine a lot quicker and probably close to same price.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You sound really angry.

Why do all these things have to made overseas?

13. m_ice

Because they don't have all the b.s. testing we do here

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What testing?

Ready to send my Milwaukee Switch Tanks back...POS.

Or all the beta testing end users do for the manufacturers...Boss for instance.

SHAWZER likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Frank Reynolds

That JFB looks perfect. If I could get it for the same price as a Holder and be able to buy parts for it...

16. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I think they are out of Quebec
    They ship the tractor in from Italy
    They are selling the setups for around $130,000 is what was posted on the utube comments

17. m_ice

They don't care whether it works just that it doesn't cause cancer or stupidism.

18. m_ice

I forgot about crash test.....................

That seem to last forever

19. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing Member

We run the blades 95% of the time, we have one site that we only have a blower on a holder full time.

We have one Metec blower, and 2 blowers that have to be 30 years old. They were built in Quebec.

20. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing Member

Seething with anger as usual.

I was just relaying the experience I have had with these machines. I don't believe anyone else on here has operated on let alone wrenched on one.

Frank Reynolds and Mark Oomkes like this.