1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading from old cable type

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Scott R, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Scott R

    Scott R Member
    Messages: 60

    Can anyone help me make a decission, I have an older cable operated western (1980 vintage) that is a project from, I would like to make a few mods and make it into a uni-mount, however, the cables kind of dictate the whole unit stays with the truck, etc. Can you tell me if a guy can upgrade the old cable pump/controles to a newer seliniod operated type?? Can this be bloted on the side of the pump?

    Thanks for any insight:confused:
  2. BDB

    BDB Senior Member
    Messages: 124

    You have to get a pump with the solenoids and wiring. Then wire it to work. You would be better off buying a different plow. They are not interchangeable...I looked for my truck to up-grade. If you get a used one anything is possible, but you have to weigh the differences.
  3. Crash935

    Crash935 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,377

    You can swap out the old cable controlled pump for a western electric pump but the cost is going to kill you unless you can find a good deal on a used pump and harness, the other way jou could go is with a pump under the hood. Something like a Monarc, Barnes or Fenner which you could find through northern equipment.