Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plows been fine all season but the , working great but temps haven’t been colder than -5

Today -15 out and the plow raises a slow, goes the the right slow. But when I make a function to the left it also seems like goes and stops , goes and stop ect. Almost like it’s “frozen”. Until it’s fully left. It sounds like low fluid . I thought maybe air or low fluid but I tried Bleed the system a bit and added fluid but still the same thing

Could it need a fluid and filter change ?

Any suggestions

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Try heating it up and see if it goes faster.

When's the last time you did a full fluid change?

· Registered
326 Posts
Ya. I fix a lot of my own stuff. But never pulled the motor off
Is there anything to look out for. Is it just the motor mounts and then pull it off ?
Remove the two bolts and the motor pops off. Be careful to not damage the gasket...unless you have a spare.
Disconnect the hot lead unless you can prevent it from shorting. The pump and filter are right there. If careful, you can pop the filter off with a screwdriver. Else, remove it with the pump.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove the two bolts and the motor pops off. Be careful to not damage the gasket...unless you have a spare.
Disconnect the hot lead unless you can prevent it from shorting. The pump and filter are right there. If careful, you can pop the filter off with a screwdriver. Else, remove it with the pump.
Okay. I was going to disconnect the wires anyways first. Can the new filter just be press on

· Registered
14,949 Posts
You could just clean the old one to.

· Registered
16,975 Posts
If it is a Unimount, the motor has no current to it unless it is running. Drain the housing, should be a 1/4 allen socket plug. Remove the two bolts, 5/8 socket. You will see the pump. Remove the two retaining bolts, 1/2 socket. Lift out the pump. Do not loose the pump o-ring. Wash out the housing. Pop off the old filter, snap on a new one. Install the pump, about 15Lbs torque is all you need, make sure the pump shaft spins. Line up the electric motor with the pump shaft. Install the motor. Fill it up. Remove the angle hoses, jack up plow, manually angle the plow, flush hoses. Install hoses. Operate the plow, top off the fliud.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Brake cleaner, that's my goto for just about everything

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay. Took the motor off. And sucked the fluid out cause my drain plug is stripped

Look like the filter was pretty plugged, even some small ice crystals

Wonder if it’s best just to get a new filter

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No need to get a new filter if the existing one is intact: it is just wire screen and plastic.

Ice means water. It is not enough to drain just the reservoir, you ought to flush the rams and hoses as well.
ok the filter was really dirty , I've owned it for 7 years and never changed it, I called the guy who owned it befor me and he didn't think it had a filter so looks like he never changed or cleaned it

· Registered
14,949 Posts
As said, dont forget the angle rams and lift ram for getting all the fluid out

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You've owned this Uni for 7 years, and have never even changed the fluid? Time for some serious maintenance.

I thought you "fix a lot of your own stuff." You're gonna be doin' a lot more fixin' if you don't do some regular maintainin'. Just sayin'.
No I changed the fluid haven't changed the filter before ,

Just finished doing everything seems to be working good now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.