Unimount hydraulic question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OneBadDodge06, Sep 11, 2019.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I tore down a unimount hydraulic unit for the purpose of cleaning it and to put all new valves in it.

Western's mechanics guide says to bottom out the crossovers and turn out 1.5-2 times. I want to be dead nuts sure that it's not going above the specified rated PSI to open the reliefs and I have a hydraulic pressure gauge.

I know there's a port to check the pump lift pressure but are there ports to check the pressure for the relief valves? It's been 15 years since I've messed with a unimount. I want to double check everything with a pressure gauge and I'm not finding much in the mechanic's guide.

Thanks

2. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

I would think if you put pressure where the hoses hook up to each angle ram you could test them that way.

OneBadDodge06 and cwren2472 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

When I took the manifold apart, there were a couple of plugs that didn't have any valves under them, and nothing noted in the schematics, but it's not hard to put the pressure gauge on the hose.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

You can see what pressure you will have at the hoses, but as far as I know, when you
    set those crossover valves they are set to open at 3500 give or take. I do not know how
    you would get a hyd. test on that.

OneBadDodge06 and Western1 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I don't see why that won't work.

6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

You will get a pump pressure reading, the pump should be around 2000. But the reliefs are set to 3500. Just make sure everything is very clean. Then assemble as instructed, you will be fine. And lube up all the orings and cavitys as you assemble it.

OneBadDodge06 likes this.