Snow Plowing Forum banner

Under tailgate spreader light mounting

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BigBoyPlowin 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
Do you guys have a trick way of mounting the lights for an under tailgate spreader so that when the bed raises the light remains on the salt pattern.(ie: level)
I don't really want to mount them to my rear hitch plate. Sorry i don't have a pic but they are mounted to the bottom of the UTG spreader so when the bed goes up the lights go down but not parallel with the ground like the spinner does.....OR.. does it even matter that they don't stay parallel? This is my first year with an UTG.
Thanks,
Steve

#3 ·
for the most part it is a non issue. i am not sure what kind of truck you have , but for my under tailgate units, we raise the bed let the salt slide to load the spreader than lower the bed to spread ( or only have it raised slightly. even with the bed up the light usually illuminates the the area so you can tell the salt is coming out

#4 ·
OK thanks...really wasn't sure if I would be running with the bed up or not since I have never used one. I did just install a "Body Up" kit so I wouldn't forget it was up. Just another question for you ..about how many times will you have to raise the bed to empty it? Mine is a single axle 26,000 truck (10 ft bed)
Steve

#5 ·
xtreem3d;1512784 said:
OK thanks...really wasn't sure if I would be running with the bed up or not since I have never used one. I did just install a "Body Up" kit so I wouldn't forget it was up. Just another question for you ..about how many times will you have to raise the bed to empty it? Mine is a single axle 26,000 truck (10 ft bed)
Steve
Really depends on the truck, and the condition of the material being spread ( wet, clumpy, frozen, ect...). I have never counted. I normally run a tandem with a 14' body I would say I put the body up about 4-5 times, on the other end of the spectrum in one of our 550's. I think it more like 10 times because of the lower sides and tailgate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.