1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Pro Plow Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrtcbmw, Oct 11, 2014.

1. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

So the season in PA is right around the corner, im finally getting time to get everything ready, the wedding last month didnt help. But now i have time.

Last year towards the end of the season i noticed when stacking, that the back of the plow, more specific the center ribs were hitting the tabs where the chains hook to the lift ram plate.

My question is there something wrong that im hitting, last time i check it should during stacking. I ordered last year but never installed, new trip springs and shock. Dont know if that will fix it, but i did notice the plow was tripping easier and that why i bought the springs/shock.

Thank you
    Jason

* if i get a chance ill take a photo when i go to the plow storage location. and post it up.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the plow is very "used" the blade trip pins might be very worn allowing the springs to pull the blade back a bit at the top, lift the plow, loosen the springs way off and then see how much play is in the trip pins. You might also have badly worn pivot bar pins or a bent a-frame. There are things called stacking stops but if you didn't need them when the plow was new you should still not need them.

3. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Sounds good. I am gonna be putting the new springs/shock in on monday. so ill check the pins then.

I bought the plow used, spent the first 10 years as a homeowner driveway plow, year as a back up and then ive owned it for 2. So there hasnt been much hardcore use. Only last season was it used for commercial use.

I know it doesnt have the stacking stops. and i dont have them. I dont know what truck it was set up for. but my truck is only leveled out. But i do noticed there is paint worn away where i the stacking stops would go.

Ill check the pivot bar pins, but i believe they looked good last year when i pulled them out last year.

4. mishnick

Stacking stops are installed, or not based on which configuration is selected. There should be four possible options on your plow and one is selected depending on mount height. The goal is to make the plow a frame parallel to the ground. If your truck has stiff, high front suspension like a Ford F550 or has a lift kit it might require stacking stops. A very low front end like a typical Chev is so low it would not need stops. Perhaps it needs them but never had them?

5. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I dont know what the original truck it was set up for. but mine is a f350 with a level kit, and i did set it up for the new ride height. Which if im not mistaken it was the 3 or 4 level.

Guess i might be buying a stacking stop... just what the wife will love to hear.

6. mishnick

According to the installation instructions options 3 and 4 both require stacking stop. Before you spend money call your local Western installer. If they r like me they probably have several stops in their scrap metal bin. Ask if they would give you one.....

7. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Yeah i remember seeing that. But i never had the problem till the end of the season.

Im gonna see how the new springs/shock does. if need be i may just weld a 2x2 box steel on the frame. and not spend the money. because from all the photos ive seen thats all it looks like it is.