1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Type of insurances for residental plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ChevyProud, Nov 21, 2014.

  1. ChevyProud

    ChevyProud Junior Member
    Messages: 1

    Hello everyone! I am new to the site, and new to plowing for more then just my family. If I want to plow for residential people I do not know, from the horror slip and fall sue cases I have herd, I know I will want insurance. Just wanted a little input from other small town plowers and what do you carry? Do you just add your plow truck to Commercial auto insurance with snow plow policy? Or do you consider your winter plowing a small business and have General Liability insurance under snow plowing? Or do you carry both; General Liability insurance along with insuring your truck under commercial auto insurance? Or what do you suggest me carrying for only plowing residential drives? Thank you for any advice!
  2. JustJeff

    JustJeff 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,481

    Both. My GL costs me a little under 700.00 for the year, and I don't even know how my truck policy went up, not that much though. But CYA and have both.
  3. TMLGC

    TMLGC Senior Member
    Messages: 294

    The best thing to do is call your insurance agent and tell them what you are doing and what your concerns are for coverage and possible liability.

    My guess is insurance questions on here are like tax questions, they will vary so much from person to person and even more state to state with such a wide variety of answers of how much it costs and what you must have.

    I do mostly residential with some town houses and a duplex owned by some local developers. I have both commercial on my truck and GL. I was told the GL was needed if someone got hurt, it has ice mgt as well that came with the snow plowing schedule.

    Pricing will be affected by your age, years in business or experience, prior claims, driving record and what other packages you got going on with the agent.

    I was told that if I was using my truck to make money (I tow landscaping/mowing trailer in growing season) then I would need commercial auto insurance.

    My GL also covers my equipment should it be damaged, stolen or vandalized.