Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford F150

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Ford F250

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • FORD F350

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
Looking for the best used plow truck for under $5,000.00. My budget is limited unless I finance, and I'm trying not to finance. If I can pick up 2 used trucks for cheap, I will. Have my mechanic look them over and give them a tune up. Use 1 as my primary and 1 as my backup. I'll be plowing small residential in town. 1-4 parking stalls per driveway. Can I get away with a 1500 or 150? Why should I go bigger?

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
my 2 cents (for what they are worth)

And please mind that these are my options and many will agree with me, but you will always have the guy who says he plows 2 car drives with a crew cab dually just fine.

1 ton is out unless it is a single rear wheel if you are doing small resi stuff

1/2 ton is not a work truck

I would recommend a 3/4 ton IMO. Everything is bigger on them from transmissions all the way down to the brake pads.

That being said, if you are just doing small residential, A half ton may be all that you need. Guys plow snow with half tons all the time. If you are the only one driving it, I am sure it will be fine.

I think you need to figure out what type of plow you would like (expandable, straight, vee) first and then see what type of plow you can put on what truck.

As far as the brand... they are all junk.

Fourteen Contracting Inc.

PlowSite.com Addict

And please mind that these are my options and many will agree with me, but you will always have the guy who says he plows 2 car drives with a crew cab dually just fine.

I would recommend a 3/4 ton IMO. Everything is bigger on them from transmissions all the way down to the brake pads.

That being said, if you are just doing small residential, A half ton may be all that you need. Guys plow snow with half tons all the time. If you are the only one driving it, I am sure it will be fine.

I think you need to figure out what type of plow you would like (expandable, straight, vee) first and then see what type of plow you can put on what truck.

Brand of plow? Or brand of truck? Or both?

Thanks for the info. I'd like a V plow but will settle for a straight blade. Depends on the cost.

Jake: I can tell you this: For Residential Driveways, you would be better off with a snow blower. You will be in & out. With a pick up truck you will spend most of your time maneuvering.
If you decide to do big stuff (Walmart,etc) disregard a snow blower
Thank you for the advice. I'll plan on using snowblowers instead of a plow truck. I'm willing to bet I can find a used truck it better condition and less miles without a plow. Maybe even go down south to buy one, somewhere they dont use salt.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Thank you for the advice. I'll plan on using snowblowers instead of a plow truck. I'm willing to bet I can find a used truck it better condition and less miles without a plow. Maybe even go down south to buy one, somewhere they dont use salt.

I rarely (only once) bought a truck with a plow on it.
Buy a truck that never had a plow on it, preferably one with a tow package. I'd say one with a plow prep, but finding one that never had a plow would be nearly impossible.
Don't buy a truck that someone else has already shortened the life of by plowing with it.
Some people buy 3/4 ton trucks when they don't need them and have never been used to their full potential, so you get a better used truck. JMO

$5k will get your a beat up square body GM with a beat up conventual plow that you leave on site because ball joints and rod ends are trashed.
Good to know.
Are they an easy and reasonable priced item to replace for preventive measures?

I've actually been considering saving up $10k for a down payment on a newer truck. It would be used as my daily driver for personal use and when I'm ready, to make my business operational, I'll have a solid truck ready.

Let's face the facts. This year may not be the best to start a business. At least not until COVID19 is under control. Maybe I'll keep working for my current employer where I'll bring home $500-750 a week. Save up money for a down payment, trade in my tiny 3 cyl. car. Pay some of the truck off over the next 1.5 years and get into this next year.

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
Good to know.

I've actually been considering saving up $10k for a down payment on a newer truck. It would be used as my daily driver for personal use and when I'm ready, to make my business operational, I'll have a solid truck ready.

Let's face the facts. This year may not be the best to start a business. At least not until COVID19 is under control. Maybe I'll keep working for my current employer where I'll bring home $500-750 a week. Save up money for a down payment, trade in my tiny 3 cyl. car. Pay some of the truck off over the next 1.5 years and get into this next year.
Unless your good with a wrench, buy something that will spend more time working than sitting outside a garage door busted.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Good to know.

12 yrs ago I decided to get back in the game. I paid cash for everything and had a full time job. I didn’t want to use my daily driver for plowing and I bought a no rust ‘97 Ford F-350 XL 7.5l gas, manual transmission and a service body that had 29k miles with a 8’ft Meyer Ploy EZ mount classic plow for $7k. It was a maintenance vehicle for a Hewlett-Packard facility and had all the service records. The tires were original too. Had one 2acre commercial account and was a sub for 8 resi’s and a 1 acre church lot. Spring came along I bought a Scag Turf Tiger with a bagger and a couple hand held pieces of equipment which I paid cash for. I had a 14k bumper pull trailer I used for summer work for the 1st two years and bought a used 14’ foot trailer with sides and a ramp for $1500.00. I bought a used Meyer 350s tail gate spreader that worked but the hopper had cracks by the vibrator which was easy to fix for $600.00. As I made more money plowing and mowing I was adding equipment, some new when it made sense and used when it made sense.
After my first year of plowing and mowing my customer base grew and I still subbing for plowing. Third year in the guy I subbed for got out of the bizz and I got first dibs on his snow work and was able to tighten up my route along with fired the PITA customers I had. Year 5 I sold the Meyer plow for $2000 and bought a new Boss DXT V plow. All this was going on while still having a full time job.
So what I’m getting at is take you time look for the right deal for a pickup and the rest of the equipment. Keep your current job and build your business with cash to get it going. There will be low snow season and changes in the economy and making payments will kill you. Upgrade equipment for the right reason not because you had a good season or want to. There’s no rush to quite your day job until you can cover all expenses including health care and afford to take vacation / tie oof along with having 6months of reserve cash to fall back on if needed.

Top Forums