1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

truck size to handle 6yd spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Feb 7, 2002.

  1. boba

    boba Senior Member
    Messages: 110

    In the new ford superduty trucks which one would I need for a 6yd spreader?
  2. SCL

    SCL Senior Member
    Messages: 265

    I don't know what size the Superduty Fords go to, but I think its F550. Anyway, consider that 6 yds of salt or sand can be upwards of 18K pounds, more than the GVWR of a 550. I think with the weight of a spreader, your looking at an 800 or 8000 series truck. 6 yards is a lot of material.
  3. PAPS Landscape

    PAPS Landscape Member
    Messages: 51

    Yea.. your going to neeed like a F-600, and up. The weight of 6 yards is far more than a superduty can handle... unless you dont fill that hopper up all the way.
  4. landman

    landman Senior Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 185

    If you are going to be using the trunck for landscaping as well, I would opt for the F650 lo-pro Gas motor, auto trans, power brakes this way you will still be under 26k gvw and you don't have to worry about CDL to drive it. If however you plan on using this truck for heavier jobs, moving alot of soil, stone etc. on a regular basis, or even moving a backhoe or other large equiptment I would go with the F650 or F850 with the diesel motor, air brake combo but then you are at 38k gvw and need a CDL.
  5. stslawncare

    stslawncare Senior Member
    Messages: 142

    i agree with all them, always go bigger to be safer
  6. phillyplowking1

    phillyplowking1 Senior Member
    Messages: 412

    I would go with the F-650 with a cat engine and dump body . Landman the f-650 is not avalible in a gas engine.
  7. BOSS Adam

    BOSS Adam Senior Member
    Messages: 122

    I would go with a f-650 or an f-750 :D
  8. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,011

    You can buy a F650 cheaper than a 550 :confused:
  9. phillyplowking1

    phillyplowking1 Senior Member
    Messages: 412

  10. John DiMartino

    John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 2,154

    F550 4x4, Vs F650 2wd price is about the same,if you get a 550 2wd,its cheaper,but not by much.no way an F550 can take a 6 yd spreader,I see 6 yds in old F800's,and newer 750's.Does anyone know about what an F650 weighs?dump body,reg cab CAT/Allison auto?
  11. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    A 550 4x4 diesel is 6742lb cab&chassis, dump body with hoist is 3500 to 4000. I'd think the 650 would be 2000 to 3000 more. I think you'd be on the bitter edge with a 6 yd sander. A 750 or 850 would be better.

    alternatives would be IH 4800 or freightliner FL70
  12. snow

    snow PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 1,002

    Just read this thread and was looking in the truck trader.

    not sure if it's a 2k1 or 2k2, but an F650 XL 4-5 yard dump, cat diesel, 6 spd, load cover pintle hook and Ipswich Ford in ipswich mass- $36.950. that's a 26k gvw one.

    The cheapest i've seen 550 4wd dumps is around 38k if i remember correctly.

  13. phillyplowking1

    phillyplowking1 Senior Member
    Messages: 412

    i think thats about right
  14. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    I was interupted by a fire call and didn't get to finish my thought. If you are outfitting a new truck, you might consider one of the new combination dump/sander bodies. While they are more expensive than a regular dump body, when you factor in the cost of a V-box sander, they are about the same. The advantages are you don't have the weight of the V-box to carry and you don't have to remove the V-box between storms to do other work. The 2 yd sander in my F-350 weighs 1000lbs, I'd bet a 6 yd is at least another 500 lbs. That weight could be added payload instead.

    I've been researching these bodies and plan to replace my truck with one. You can see one example at Tarrent Manufacturing
  15. GLS

    GLS Senior Member
    Messages: 248

    Does anybody know what the requirments and testing etc. you have to go throught to get a CDL?...I know it probably varies from state to state. Also, what kind of permits do you need?

  16. wxmn6

    wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,037

    0rany0, the best place to get the info. is to call or go to your local DMV office.
  17. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    When the CDLs were first introduced, the reasoning was that it would eliminate variations in testing from state to state. Applicants were supposed to meet Federal standards so that everyone had the same skills and knowledge. I don't know if this is the case or not. It also gave them an excuse to double the fees.

    The procedure isn't that difficult, if you have good reading retention you're in. You fill out an application, pay your fees, and they hand you a study booklet. When you feel you're ready, schedule an appointment, you'll have to take a written test and then a driver's test. Niether are very difficult, the hardest part is usually finding a vehicle to take the test in. Make sure all your lights are working, tires are good and stickers up to date, they will check. You'll have to demonstrate your pre-trip inspection and then do a short drive.

    Here's a tip: When taking your written exam, get all the endorsements you can. All it takes is a little more studying and then you'll have all the bases covered should you need to make a career change.
  18. greasemonkey

    greasemonkey Member
    Messages: 30

    I just got my CDL in september, it was not very hard at all. Go to your local secretary of state / dmv and they give you a book. Read the sections of the book pertaining to the type of vehicle you will be driving, then when you feel ready go back to the sos / dmv, pay some fees, take a multiple guess test and if you pass (you will), they'll issue you a TIP (temporary instructional permit). This is your cdl learner's permit. You can now practice in a truck / combination for which you have passed the written test poviding you are accomponied by a driver who has a license to drive that truck / combiantion. When you are ready,but before your permit expires (you don't want to pay to take that written test twice) schedule a test. You will need to provide a truck / combiantion that is registered and insured and has a current inspection. You will also need to procide your DOT medical card. Then you will take a three part skills test in which you will demonstrate the ability to inspect your vehicle (this is the hardest part), then you will need to perform 4 basic manuvers, followed by a road test that will include the instructor questioning you on what you would do in a steep down grade. Providing you pass all three portions, you now have your CDL. Keep in mind that you must have a TIP of the proper class + endorsements to drive the truck you want to test in, and that you will not be certified for endorsements and classes for which you have a TIP but the truck / combination you test with does not require. I took my test in a "cheater truck" . It was a 33k gvr automatic transmission single axle air brake ford louisville with a 25k gvr air brake tag trailer. I now have a class A with air brakes which makes me legal to drive a semi.


    JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 751

    Grease Monkey, its been awhile since I took my CDL B but I thought if you are certified on an auto than you are restricted to an auto? At least this is what the instructor told me. Also I did'nt have to have my medical card until after the test (to get a job). Things may have changed though?

    BTW anybody who takes a truck into the testing area make certain that it is MINT. Your basically walking into the lions den :eek: and those guys aren't always in the best of moods :rolleyes: My instructor told me a couple of stories about trucks that got "tagged and bagged" to the point where they had to be towed off the lot.
  20. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    Unless the rules have changed, you only need a DOT card to drive interstate. No card needed for intrastate driving.