1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Trany Temp Gage.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The Grassman, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. The Grassman

    The Grassman Member
    Messages: 55

    How do you install a Tranny Temperature gage and where would you get one ?

  2. 75gmck25

    75gmck25 Senior Member
    Messages: 119

    Many of the trans gauges use an electric sending unit and are fairly easy to install. You can get the gauge and sender from almost any place that has a reasonable selection of gauges by Automoter, Sun or other manufacturers. If you don't have a local source, both Jegs and Summit Racing have them in their online catalogs. I've seen a trans gauge on the shelf at PepBoys, right next to the trans coolers.

    You can braze a fitting for the sending unit into the trans pan, but must be careful to miss anything inside the pan. You can also get a T-fitting that goes in one of the metal transmission lines, and the sending unit screws into the T-fitting. The line going out to the cooler is a good choice for the T-fitting.

    Some transmissions also have a test port with a standard threaded fitting and you can use that for the sending unit. I've seen it installed in the current Ford trans, but I'm not sure if the GM trans has the same type of test port.

  3. TreffertLawnWrx

    TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member
    Messages: 122

    I just ordered my Auto Meter Tranny temp gauge today. I ordered the 2 1/16" Ultra Lite with a A pillar pod. was going to get the phantom gauge but the guy from summit said that the ultra lites are the most accurate. The setup was 73.00 shipped to my door, Troy was a great guy to order from! Scott.
    Ill post sme pics when I get it in!:cool:
  4. griffithtlc

    griffithtlc Senior Member
    Messages: 213

    Or, you can do like I did, go down to a hydraulic parts store, and get some JIC T-fittings, or Compression T-fittings if they have them(the JIC is more common). Install one sending unit in the line going to the cooler, and the other coming back from the cooler. Then, put them into a switch so you can monitor both lines with the flip of a switch. The JIC fittings are a breeze to put on, you just take your line off, cut out a 1.5" section, and they literally just bolt on to the line. I also got the Ultra Lite 2 1/16" gauge.
  5. porkhead1

    porkhead1 Member
    Messages: 70

    Just curious........if you're installing a trans temp guage are you going to install trans cooler also..:confused:

    If you don't already have one, my opinion is that you install the largest one that will fit behind your grill & tie it into the already existing radiator/trans cooler.

    Just my $.02 :)