Snow Plowing Forum banner

transfer case clunking and output shaft play

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wyldman 
#1 ·
I've a bad clunking when driveshaft rotates, and there is about 45 degrees of play in the rotation in 2wd(high) in my transfer case...NP 205...86 K-30 454,th400, 4dr, long bed factory dually...any tips and I mean ANY is well worth a cold:drinkup:

#2 ·
Sound like you must have broken a gear,or some gear teeth maybe.There is no chain in that case,gears only.

Does it do it in 2WD ? 4WD ? or both ?

The play is in which driveshaft ? front or rear ? In 2WD or 4WD ?

Sorry for all the questions,just trying to get an idea of what's going on.

BTW - Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

#3 ·
Thanks wyldman... lets see, rear output shaft (rear driveshaft), its bad in 2hi, a little quieter in 4hi, barely noticeable in 4lo...I guess the thing to do is remove some sort of view plate and give that rascal a visual before removing the unit. I'm not thrilled with the prospect of a costly repair only to have some other integral part fail...do you think replacing the whole unit(transfer case)is the way to go? I plan on keeping this beast in service for a couple more years...a Jasper th400 was installed in apr 03.

#4 ·
It sounds like something is broken inside.Disassembly is the only way to find out.

If you don't feel like tearing into it,just get a used unit and replace it.Probably cheap than rebuilding it.I wouldn't be afraid of a used one as not much ever goes wrong with them.They are usually pretty bulletproof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.