1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

trans help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by peteo1, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. peteo1

    peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,660

    I recently noticed some rust developing on my transmission pan and it seems pretty bad. I checked with the local parts stores and they want $150 or better for a new pan which I think is kinda ridiculous. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get one for a reasonable price. I'll be checking with the wrecking yards this week but maybe someone will have a better option. The truck is an 04 Ram 1500 Hemi CCSB. According to my owners manual the truck has a 45rfe/545rfe trans. Thanks for any help in advance!
  2. countrybiggen

    countrybiggen Junior Member
    Messages: 26

    Ebay it or even craigslist
  3. Dogplow Dodge

    Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ
    Messages: 3,699

    Why not take advantage of the situation, and buy an upgraded pan ?

    There are lots of companies that make "cooling" pans, which are usually deeper, which hold more fluid, and have ways of cooling the trans temps down to where it's a longer life of the fluid.... and trans parts.

    I put a Derale pan on my truck, and I average about 150* F or less all the time, including 100* days in summer... I bought the filter extender as well. Best $150 I ever spent, as it has a nice threaded drain, and a bung for a 1/8" NPT for my temp sender, which runs to a new gauge in the cab.

    Best investment you can make for your trans is an additional way of keeping the fluid cool.