Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone lend some advice about pulling a trailer in snow? What should we use?

This is for a crew that will be doing a couple dozen residential drives that can't be done with plow trucks. It'll also be used by a sidewalk crew. It will be pulled with a 4x4 F-150 with the 5.4 engine. My area has some hilly roads, but we won't be using the worst of them.

The trailer will hold two 2-stage blowers, shovels and stuff, a few hundred lbs of salt, and one smallish Deere tractor with a blower on the front and spreader on the back.

Would a single or double axle handle better in snow?
Would the type of tires matter?
Would it need to have trailer brakes?

I've seen other companies pulling snow equipment on open trailers before, so that's what I'm going on. If this whole thing is unreasonably dangerous, I know you guys will let me know.
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
What's the weight of the "smallish" tractor?
You should probably add up the weight of equipment, salt, etc and determine the hauling capacity you need. Size of equipment will also help determine the square footage of trailer bed surface you need.
Naturally, a single axle trailer will be easier to tow.
I'm guessing you get quite a bit of snow per snowfall if you're using 2 stage blowers.

·
Registered
51,679 Posts
Tandem
No
Any trailer with a GVWR over 3,500 in Meatchicken requires electric brakes. And in the snow it would be foolish to not have them.

I know it will add weight, but I would strongly consider an enclosed trailer. We pulled our Zplow in an open trailer for several years. It sucks. Snow, slush, salt, etc.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
I was going to suggest a box truck, but figured it's probably not in the budget.
My sidewalk guys did alright for a few years with a van. 13HP two stage blower with ramps to load in the back door. A couple single stage blowers loaded in the side door and still had room for salt.
Traction wasn't an issue with the weight in the van.
Much easier to park the van on city streets than a trailer.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
Tandem
No
Any trailer with a GVWR over 3,500 in Meatchicken requires electric brakes. And in the snow it would be foolish to not have them.

I know it will add weight, but I would strongly consider an enclosed trailer. We pulled our Zplow in an open trailer for several years. It sucks. Snow, slush, salt, etc.
Output device Office supplies Font Office equipment Screenshot

·
Registered
51,679 Posts

·
Registered
51,679 Posts
If it weren't for the tractor, I'd definitely consider the van. The more Bella uses them, the more I like them.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Open trailer sucks in the snow. Deck is slippery,ramp is slippery. Tie downs in the snow. Salt bags covered in snow.
Slipping and falling getting in/ out of the tractor.
Enclosed trailer is lousy too. Big,heavy, can't see around it. Yeah, your salt will be dry, but the floor will still get tracked up with snow and be slippery.

Reactions: jato

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the weight of the "smallish" tractor?
You should probably add up the weight of equipment, salt, etc and determine the hauling capacity you need. Size of equipment will also help determine the square footage of trailer bed surface you need.
Naturally, a single axle trailer will be easier to tow.
I'm guessing you get quite a bit of snow per snowfall if you're using 2 stage blowers.
Thanks that's a good point. Deere X570 weighs about 550lbs. Maybe ~650 with the blower. Add the rest up, and I'd say we're under 2500 lbs depending on who wants salt.

Not much snow here honestly. But just enough that people don't want to have to do it themselves. 2-stage throwers let us put the snow where we want it. We are not a huge company. We have one Honda single stage and it does clean the ground better. But the 2-stages are faster and wider so those things help. Singles are lighter but we don't have to lift them up anyway. And if we can't drop the ramp right at the driveway, we can drive a 2-stage up over the grass to the sidewalk and start throwing. In anything more than 1-2" of snow, pushing a single stage 30 yards in the street is not fun or efficient for us.
thanks again for your input

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tandem
No

Yes for sure. I hear you. For an open trlr I'd build some kind of front bulkhead to block the stuff kicking up. I'd have no use for enclosed trailer in summer unfortunately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was going to suggest a box truck, but figured it's probably not in the budget.
My sidewalk guys did alright for a few years with a van. 13HP two stage blower with ramps to load in the back door. A couple single stage blowers loaded in the side door and still had room for salt.
Traction wasn't an issue with the weight in the van.
Much easier to park the van on city streets than a trailer.
Cool
Hadn't thought of that... might be too $$ tho

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Open trailer sucks in the snow. Deck is slippery,ramp is slippery. Tie downs in the snow. Salt bags covered in snow.
Slipping and falling getting in/ out of the tractor.
Enclosed trailer is lousy too. Big,heavy, can't see around it. Yeah, your salt will be dry, but the floor will still get tracked up with snow and be slippery.
Yeah if the tractor doesn't need to be used I guess the truck with a ramp rack can probably hold two or three 2-stage blowers and all the hand tools. Pain to clear entire drives with blowers tho. Then we'd need to toss salt onto some of them with push spreaders. Annoying. I'm hoping to use the Deere with the wide blower and with a spreader on the back

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Yeah if the tractor doesn't need to be used I guess the truck with a ramp rack can probably hold two or three 2-stage blowers and all the hand tools. Pain to clear entire drives with blowers tho. Then we'd need to toss salt onto some of them with push spreaders. Annoying. I'm hoping to use the Deere with the wide blower and with a spreader on the back
Maybe give some consideration to putting a flatbed on the truck?
Frees up a lot of space.

Reactions: jato
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.