Track loader suggestions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MT250, Jan 26, 2020.

1. MT250

MT250 Member
    from North

Hello, time to replace my Bobcat 773. Looking at used track loaders in the $30- 50k range. I would like to keep it under $40k though.

I do some dirt work in the Summer and use a small tree spade, but these days I really need to have a reliable, capable machine to clear the lots at my 2 businesses. I want a track loader. The rubber tracks on my 773 are awesome but the tires will slip in the tracks at times when in the snow. I would consider a wheeled machine with over-the-tracks again but I do not like the fact that the front drive chains should be removed for that setup. If you get a flat, it is a major PIA to get the loader unstuck and the track back on.

I like the Bobcat, Kubota, Cat, and ASV machines. For dealer support, the Bobcat/Kubota dealer is very convenient, the Cat is within 30 minutes away, but the ASV dealer is a couple hours away.

I would like 60+ HP, heat/door, high flow. Don't need or want AC but it seems like they all have it. The machines with suspension look pretty good, but I would think there is a lot more maintenance. I would probably not exceed 50 hours per year.

Do any of these brands stand out in snow moving ability? Reliability?

2. farmboy555

farmboy555 Junior Member
    from Ky

I’ve been a Bobcat guy all my life last two was a 853 & s185 purchased a new Kubota SVL 65 back in June wide tracks, high flow, heat & ac. I’m really liking it

3. Kinport

Kinport Senior Member

I can only speak to the reliability, we don’t use them to push snow.

I’ve spent ample seat time in the Kubuta SVL75 and Cat259d, and I’ve run the Bobcat(think it was a T590). I’ve never even sat in an ASV. All three machines are impressive. Cats seem to hold resale the best so if your buying used you’ll probably end up with a higher hour machine if you go Cat. The Cat is a very well rounded machine. Comfy cab, easy to service, strong hydraulics, good reliability and parts are available pretty much anywhere you to.

We started running the Kubotas when they came out a few years ago. I figured it would be some low budget copycat design by a company that was trying to sell on price point instead of quality. I was wrong and we have been very impressed with them. Some things I like that are specific to the Kubota: the door slides up (like the front glass on an excavator) instead of swinging out, so you can exit the machine if need be with the arms in the air. The 2 travel speeds- Rabbit speed is FAST(in skidsteer terms). The lap-bar (not really a bar at all, 2 individual arms that fold down and become arm rests) is more ergonomic. Comfy cab, and it’s very good on fuel.
    Somewhat limited seat time in the Bobcat, but it was a nice machine that did everything I asked.

If it were me, and dealer support was the same across the board, I would look for a Kubota, but would not hesitate to buy a Cat if I found one at a fair price.

4. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I love my Cat 297c but if you find one that needs a new undercarriage run away from it as fast as you can 7EAD3D9C-F30F-47D6-B1DF-108A734BD978.jpeg Not a fun job and the cost of the cost of replacing the idlers, bogies and squirrel cage adds up real quick

icudoucme and 512high like this.
  5. 512high

512high Senior Member

Not to steal away from OP, Massnowfighter, glad you now how to turn wrenches, good time to get in those tight areas clean up/wax lol

6. Masssnowfighter

from ma

yes, everything that isn't being replaced has been cleaned and repainted. Turning wrenches is the easy part, trying to extract broken bolts that attach to $5,000 drive motor is the nerve racking stressful part and makes me wish I paid someone else to deal with the headache

512high likes this.
  7. 512high

512high Senior Member

Again, sorry OP, Massnowfighter, just wondering where in mass your located, and how large is your shop? Seems like you have a lot of iron.

8. OP
    OP
    MT250

MT250 Member
    from North

I do like the door on the Kubota. I got stuck in my Bobcat once when the engine died suddenly. Gas cap vent was plugged. I think Kubota makes one of the best diesel engines too.

Kinport and 512high like this.
  9. Masssnowfighter

from ma

Shop is in Westfield, it’s about 8,000 sq ft. And yes I have an excessive amount of iron for 2 man operation, some would say I have a bit of a “spending problem” but I think I have a unorthodox way of investing my money that works really well for me

Mark Oomkes and 512high like this.
  10. Masssnowfighter

from ma

Too the OP, find a CAT with a good undercarriage and buy it and you will be really happy with it. I have 2,000 hours on mine and besides wear and tear stuff have had no issues. On the other hand my dads company buys a new bobcat every couple years and they seem to spend more time at the dealership getting repaired then actually working, plus I can’t stand how much everything rattles in the cab. Cat cabs are nice and quiet and doesn’t sound like the glass is about to fall out

11. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Try to find something pre tier 4 so a non def machine... My newer bigger Bobcat and the Cat 262D's I had seem to really drink fuel... Kubota's seem to be a bit better on fuel consumption.

Like stated on here before Kubota's are far from Cadillac's but have been solid machines. Also look at Tak's they have become a leading tracked machine around here...

icudoucme likes this.
  12. Treeboy

Treeboy Junior Member

Cat 289d is the best value in your class used and really nice smooth skids. Cat leads the way with skidsteers. Have it inspected by cat. I see a lot of good condition 289d's sell for under 40.

13. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

If you want comfort go with any Cat MTL (257, 277, 287, or 297) again you need to look at the track, boogies and idlers. I have had a CAT297c for 12 years I bought it used with 100hrs on it for around 52,000 fully loaded, counter weight kit, 2 speed, high flow, cab, lexan package, a/c, vertical lift, air ride seat, radio with remote, bucket, plow, grapple and pallet forks. I bought threw the dealer because they had .5% financing for used equipment at the time and it was for 72 months with zero down.. man those where the days... anyways. Its comfy. I don't want to buy a new one as I mostly do snow removal with it and the new def systems on the CATs don't like sub zero temps even at high RPMs. Look into to used CAT or Kubotas SVL. The SVL doesnt have as smooth a ride, but is built with quality and has a roomy cab.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You say land clearing at your businesses. Are you talking about clearing with a bucket, grapple, tree puller, etc or clearing with a drum or disc mulcher?

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is this proven fact or just marketing propaganda?

16. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

I’m going with the latter....

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  17. Treeboy

Treeboy Junior Member

Its a proven fact you just proved it by not saying what is better.

18. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

That doesn’t make something a fact?

That’s just restating what you said.

If I say an Apple is the greatest thing ever and nothing will ever be as good as an apple, I haven’t proved anything.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh?

BossPlow2010 likes this.
  20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd definitely agree with the latter.
    Gotta get people to drink that Cat cool-aid anyway possible!

I'd take a Takeuchi well before I got a Cat ctl. Can't say I've ever felt they were the best in the market.

98Chevy2500, m_ice and Mark Oomkes like this.