1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Towing w/ F250 or F350- CDL Required?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ARP, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. ARP

    ARP Junior Member
    Messages: 11

    If I was to purchase a used F250 or F350 diesel and tow with it either a drop deck equipment trailer or a dump trailer rated at 14- 16,000 lbs. (GCVWR at approx. 20- 24,000 lbs) for a skidsteer business- would I need a CDL to operate this rig?
  2. oldmankent

    oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,322

    As long as your rated GCWR is below 26000 you don't need a CDL. But you should check with local and state laws. You're gonna have trouble staying within your GVWR with a trailer like that.
  3. plowed

    plowed Senior Member
    Messages: 344

    Oldmankent, I don't believe this is correct. As I posted on the other thread, when pulling any trailer with a gvw above 10k pounds, you will need a Class A CDL.

    This is a federal reg.
  4. 84deisel

    84deisel Senior Member
    Messages: 697

    agreed .CDL A required on any trailer over 10000 lbs .BTW CDL is federal mandated laws and regulations not state laws and regs.
  5. bsnead

    bsnead Junior Member
    from zone 7
    Messages: 13

    26001 gross is the break point for a class A cdl.For example,if you operate a dump truck with a gross weight rating of 25995 and pull a land scape trailer with a rating of 7000 lbs. you need no cdl at all.If you bump the rating on the truck to 33000 you would need a class b cdl.If your truck is rated at 33,000 and you pull a backhoe trailer rated at 20,000 or any rating above 10,001 you would need a class a cdl.
  6. oldmankent

    oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,322

    Guys, I am reading this off of my Commonwealth of Massachusetts Commercial Driver's License Manual version 2.0. "You must have a CDL to operate: A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. if the gross combination weight rating is more than 26,000 lbs." I'm just answering the question as I understand it from this book. The magic number is 26,000. Whether combined or not if you go over it you need a CDL. Anything under it, and you should not. But check with your registry or state police to find out for sure.
  7. saleen49

    saleen49 Junior Member
    Messages: 24

    I hold an Illinois class B which allows me to operate any single non combo vehicle (except motorcycles) with air brakes, I use to drive a Mack six wheeler dump, as i understood the law the cut off for a CDL was 26,000,
  8. scuba875

    scuba875 Senior Member
    Messages: 250

    If you operate a commercial vehicle, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or Department of Public Safety (DPS) will require you to carry a commercial driver license (CDL). In most states, a CDL is required for anyone who is driving a vehicle interstate or intrastate with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. If you will be driving a vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers or transporting hazardous materials, regardless of the GVWR, a CDL may be required. A commercial driver may have only one license and it must be issued by their home state. Examples of vehicles required by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or Department of Public Safety (DPS) to be operated by a CDL holder are: tractor-trailer, Greyhound bus, multi-person transportation van, taxi, dump truck

    This is from the US DMV web site. Here is the link http://www.godmv.com/commercial-drivers-license.htm

    Your states rules are the same as Illinois however Illinois also places a note at the bottom that says "Note: Holders of a Class D license may operate all vehicles within Class D and may operate rental vehicles up to 26,000 pounds when transporting an individual's own personal property or that of an immediate family member for non-business purposes within the State of Illinois." I would check with your state to see if they have the same requirements. You are using this for business so it may effect if you need it.

    This is from your states web page.

    Class A- Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination vehicle weight rating GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs., except a School Bus. With a Class A license and the appropriate endorsements, you may operate any vehicle covered within Classes B and C.

    Class B- Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, or any such vehicle towing another vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR, except a School Bus. With a Class B license and appropriate endorsements, you may operate any vehicle covered within Class C.

    Class C- Any vehicle that is either less than 26,001 lbs. GVWR or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR or a vehicle placarded for hazardous materials or designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the operator, except a School Bus.

    Class D- Any single vehicle or combination except a semitrailer unit, truck trailer combination, tractor, or truck having a registered gross weight in excess of 26,000 lbs., a bus or a school bus.

    Class M- A motorcycle or any other motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the rider and designed to travel with no more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  9. I don't know if this is right or not, but in the state of Indiana, I was told by the DOT that within Indiana if your GCWR is 10,001 or more than you have to have a us dot # and if your over 16,000 they want you to have a CDL Now personally I think the lady I was talking to Had no clue as to what the laws were. She told me that my f-150 and a 16' trailer needed to have a dot #. She may be right, but if she is, I would be the only one with a # for about a 75 mile radius. I bring this up because it could require you to meet certian standards with your truck/trailer and the fines for not meeting the standards are pretty steep
  10. Team_Yamaha

    Team_Yamaha Senior Member
    Messages: 240

    My 05 F-350 4X4 DRW has a GVWR of 13,000 lbs and my small equipment trailer has a GVWR of 13,600 which brings me to 26,600 CGVWR which means anyone that drives it needs a CDL A. Which is now big deal for me since I and 2 of my employees already have them, but the other guy that works for me can't pull any of my trailers with the 05 until he gets his CDL. As for the DOT#'s I will have to look that up agian to be sure, but I think that you only need them if you are traveling across state lines doing business. In you own state you should also need a different state #.
  11. farmboy52787

    farmboy52787 Senior Member
    Messages: 115

    No you guys are all wrong, you only need a CDL license to operate a vehicle that has a GVWR of 26001 lbs or more. So if its under that then it doesnt matter what you pull with it because the truck itself is under 26001 lbs GVWR. So for Class B drivers they can drive anything except for pulling a trailer that has a GVWR of 10001 or more lbs. Thats just ridiculous if everyone would need a CDL license to drive 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups with trailers
  12. Camden

    Camden PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,604

    Good thing you came along to clear that up....3 years and 4 months after the thread was started :jester:
  13. NoFearDeere

    NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,724

    I will just comment on the DOT number thing....you must have a US DOT number if you are operating as a business and cross state lines. As for me, I rarely cross state lines doing anything with my business but i'm going to get a DOT just in case.
  14. farmboy52787

    farmboy52787 Senior Member
    Messages: 115

    No No No, thank god for you
  15. Gicon

    Gicon Senior Member
    from MA
    Messages: 989

    You are very wrong sir.
  16. Sweetpete

    Sweetpete Senior Member
    Messages: 325

    Class A CDL only involves trailers over 10k lbs. Period. In effect, a class A and class B are the same, other than the trailer limits on the A.

    Also, the CDL is only necessary if the vehicle is used for work. You can pull a travel trailer over 10k lbs and not need a class A CDL, as long as you're not pulling it for profit. BTW, I base my comments on pg 1-1 of the 05 Model Commercial Drivers License Manual
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008