• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Torsion Bars

muggsy

Hi, everyone, i have a 1996 4 door chevy Tahoe that im looking to put in a heavier set of Torsion bars on. Looking for exact part numbers, i know i will have to move the crossmember back to fit them, unless someone has a better idea or bars that are 52" long. The SWAY-A-WAY bars are $1400. My bars are 52" long and part number 15988806 which is only a MAX. Torque of 1935 lbs. Need more support because of a 1000lb Plow on the front of it. Yes its to big, but its been fine for the last 4 years and im the only driver. Reason? The 35s are starting to rub from sagging.

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
Without any lift?
Factory was 245/ 75r16, that's a 30" tire
Some packages came with
265/75r16, a 31" tire

It's a '96 and a plow rig,it's got to be rusty.
Trim the rust at the back of the front fenders

OP
muggsy

muggsy

Tires that rub before and when suspension is fully compressed/bottomed out are too large for the truck.
The tires did not rub before i put the plow on it, so i cranked up the bars which helped, but not enough, so i put Timbrens in and that solved my problem for a few years, now the one side is starting to rub. The truck has a 4" lift in it, which i bought that way. I was under looking at moving the crossmember for 54" bars but it looks like the fuel tank might be in the way, so now im thinking back to the SWAY AWAY Bars.

OP
muggsy

muggsy

Without any lift?
Factory was 245/ 75r16, that's a 30" tire
Some packages came with
265/75r16, a 31" tire

It's a '96 and a plow rig,it's got to be rusty.
Trim the rust at the back of the front fenders
No rust. And i should have put down that it has a 4" Lift from previous owner.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Lift springs are soft and fatigue over time as you found out
Install a new lift springs. Air shocks?

Or get out the sledge hammer and beat the wheel-well back

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
No rust. And i should have put down that it has a 4" Lift from previous owner.
So why not just buy new torsion bars from whoever made the lift?

Might find what you need in here.

Mountain Bob

54" bars will fit, but I believe you also need to change the cross member.The info you need is here____

OP
muggsy

muggsy

So why not just buy new torsion bars from whoever made the lift?

Might find what you need in here.
The Rough country lift does not come with them, and as of now GM has discontinued the original ones and only SWAY AWAY sells aftermarket at $1400 for the pair. Tahoe bars in my Hoe are only rated at 1935 lbs of Torque and if you look at the chart they are all way more, so its kind of hard to pick the right ones the first time.

TJS

PlowSite.com Addict
1400.00 for bars. I cannot imagine a 96 Tahoe even being worth 1400.00. I had a 98 that I sold with no rust. I think it sold for 1200.00 and that was 6 years ago.

OP
muggsy

muggsy

You should have got more $ for no rust, sold my 95 Blazer last year with 70,000 miles for $7500 last year.

Mountain Bob

According to the link I left you--
"one thing to note is the 4dr tahoes t bars are 52" truck bars can be swaped in as well as the crossmember "
I would suspect this swap would work even with lift kit,seems many have done such.There are plenty of Tahoe forums on the net. Seems to me Yukons of the same year as yours used the longer bars. I see some of the 54" bars are still available,even LMC sells them. I suspect GM did the same thing with the 2 different lengths as what they did with Astro vans, there were 2 lengths, but now can only buy one length,and on an astro,do not have to change cross member, but the back socket adjuster the bar slides into.

Newdude

Hi, everyone, i have a 1996 4 door chevy Tahoe that im looking to put in a heavier set of Torsion bars on. Looking for exact part numbers, i know i will have to move the crossmember back to fit them, unless someone has a better idea or bars that are 52" long. The SWAY-A-WAY bars are $1400. My bars are 52" long and part number 15988806 which is only a MAX. Torque of 1935 lbs. Need more support because of a 1000lb Plow on the front of it. Yes its to big, but its been fine for the last 4 years and im the only driver. Reason? The 35s are starting to rub from sagging.

Why not get the highest capacity bar GM offered and still offers for 1995-2000 Tahoe? A heck of a lot cheaper too.

P/Ns 19330060 for the left and 19330059 for the right. Max torque rating is 8782lbs per bar. They are $364 a bar and GM has lots of stock that your dealer can order from.

In the end of the day, you should really get rid of that 1000lbs plow and stop being stupid with it on there.

OP
muggsy

muggsy

According to the link I left you--
"one thing to note is the 4dr tahoes t bars are 52" truck bars can be swaped in as well as the crossmember "
I would suspect this swap would work even with lift kit,seems many have done such.There are plenty of Tahoe forums on the net. Seems to me Yukons of the same year as yours used the longer bars. I see some of the 54" bars are still available,even LMC sells them. I suspect GM did the same thing with the 2 different lengths as what they did with Astro vans, there were 2 lengths, but now can only buy one length,and on an astro,do not have to change cross member, but the back socket adjuster the bar slides into.
Thanks, im looking into those part numbers, the parts guy at GM by me did not help at trying to locate anything that was useful.

OP
muggsy

muggsy

Why not get the highest capacity bar GM offered and still offers for 1995-2000 Tahoe? A heck of a lot cheaper too.

P/Ns 19330060 for the left and 19330059 for the right. Max torque rating is 8782lbs per bar. They are $364 a bar and GM has lots of stock that your dealer can order from.

In the end of the day, you should really get rid of that 1000lbs plow and stop being stupid with it on there.
Thanks for those numbers, and i can't get rid of the WIDEOUT, its paid for itself many times over with no real breakdowns, it was on my F- 350 which i sold and now on this, which is only for local lots that i do for a friend, who pays very well. I have a new 250 that's not plowing!

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
Thanks, im looking into those part numbers, the parts guy at GM by me did not help at trying to locate anything that was useful.
[/QULisa,
Your first encounter with a MBCJ?
Probably not.
Most of them can't think that far out of the box.

I have an '02 Yukon 2500. I never cranked up the torsion bars but it doesn't like my 9-6
HDV either.

OP
muggsy

muggsy

Anybody know what year GM started to put in 56" Torsion Bars? Or is it only on certain vehicles. I was going to buy a set on eBay from a 2018 pickup for a great price, only to find out they were 56"not 54"