• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Tires...say goodbye Transforce AT's.

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran
@NYH1 how many miles of that mileage has been with a plow or sander on?
I put about 11k miles on them before swapping them out. So one whole plow season. I don't keep track of how many miles I actually have the plow on so I really can't answer that accurately.

I should also mention that my son's friend's dad has a '16 Ram 2500 (6.4 gasser, 4x4). He doesn't plow but does travel a lot for work. He loves the Transforce AT tires.

NYH1.

Scoop'n

Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but, idk how people give raving reviews of Mud/AT tires for plowing. In my experience it just doesn't add up, yet you see everyone suggesting/praising Duratracs or some other All Terrain for their Winter abilities. When questioned on the claim you'll sometimes see people talk about the Duratracs being siped or having some snowflake symbol & how that's a big reason why they don't suck like others. In reality, there really isn't much siping on them, not when compared to a dedicated Winter Tire & that snowflake symbol really don't mean **** if you know how easy they are too aquire. Personally, even with appropriate ballast & the dedicated Winters I have, I find myself wishing i could run studded.. especially after a couple seasons of use while the tire still has half it's tread left..

It makes me wonder if people praising these tires for plowing have ever run an actual dedicated Winter Tire before or if they are just basing there Duratrac/All Terrains' performance against other All Terrains.

After using dedicated Winters, i for one, cant imagine running anything else while plowing. However it's always right there in the back of my mind, like an itch i need to scratch.. saying to myself, what if these Duratracs, Wild Peaks, etc, are indeed what everyone is claiming they are... it sure would be nice to run just one tire year round in the 35"sizing i want. The only All Terrain I've seen recently that i would have been somewhat confident purchasing for winter was the Cooper ATW, but I think it's already disco'd. I had the AT3's at one point before i bought Winters & those things cost me a damn quarter panel... & That was all while on level ground!!

Anyhow..
I'd be curious to hear what people are comparing these tires against in their experience.

Landgreen

Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but, idk how people give raving reviews of Mud/AT tires for plowing. In my experience it just doesn't add up, yet you see everyone suggesting/praising Duratracs or some other All Terrain for their Winter abilities. When questioned on the claim you'll sometimes see people talk about the Duratracs being siped or having some snowflake symbol & how that's a big reason why they don't suck like others. In reality, there really isn't much siping on them, not when compared to a dedicated Winter Tire & that snowflake symbol really don't mean **** if you know how easy they are too aquire. Personally, even with appropriate ballast & the dedicated Winters I have, I find myself wishing i could run studded.. especially after a couple seasons of use while the tire still has half it's tread left..

It makes me wonder if people praising these tires for plowing have ever run an actual dedicated Winter Tire before or if they are just basing there Duratrac/All Terrains' performance against other All Terrains.

After using dedicated Winters, i for one, cant imagine running anything else while plowing. However it's always right there in the back of my mind, like an itch i need to scratch.. saying to myself, what if these Duratracs, Wild Peaks, etc, are indeed what everyone is claiming they are... it sure would be nice to run just one tire year round in the 35"sizing i want. The only All Terrain I've seen recently that i would have been somewhat confident purchasing for winter was the Cooper ATW, but I think it's already disco'd. I had the AT3's at one point before i bought Winters & those things cost me a damn quarter panel... & That was all while on level ground!!

Anyhow..
I'd be curious to hear what people are comparing these tires against in their experience.
I don't think anyone here is comparing all season or all terrains to a dedicated winter tire. A winter tire will always prove better. It's the hassle of having to swap them out every spring and fall that make them unappealing especially for those that have a fleet of trucks.

Im on my second set of duratracs on my 2017 F-350. They do perfectly fine in the winter. They wear kind of fast but I've never had a tire that doesn't. Pulling a trailer in the summer burns them up quick.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic

Anyhow..
Are Cooper M&S "dedicated" snow tyres?

I've run them and they are great. But BFGs are a close second.

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran

Anyhow..
I need a good tire that works all year long in dirt, gravel, mud, snow ect. Duratrac's are the best all round tire I've ever used. Since I've never had traction issues with the Duratrac's, I've never felt the need for a dedicated tire.

YMMV, NYH1.

Scoop'n

I don't think anyone here is comparing all season or all terrains to a dedicated winter tire.

Im on my second set of duratracs on my 2017 F-350. They do perfectly fine in the winter.
But that's just it my friend, people are. Ive seen at least once in this particular thread someone say Duratracs are the best tire ever. These are statements being made in response to someone debating tire choices on a site dedicated to plowing, if dedicated winter choices aren't automatically considered/compared within that context, idk what is.

These statements about duratracs in the winter arent just being said here, but all over the internet, especially on mall crawler Jeep forums, most likley by people who care more about how the tires look over their actual winter performance (i'm not saying this is you by any means).... which is the reason i believe they get promoted as an actual winter option as opposed to a All Terrain option being used in the winter, with obvious caveats.

For me personally, id love to be able to run a 35 year round, but i know it would just get me stuck in the drives i do...
& Maybe that's just it.. maybe they are legitimate for plowing in a commercial setting where super steep winding Ice coated drives & aren't common place. I just know what would happen with my setup if i tried to go with them.

Nokian Hakkas now have some larger sizes. They are on the list for next year for sure. My old man bought a set for his SUV & the thing is phenomenal compared to the original winters he had as they're using crushed glass or something like that in their compound.

Are Cooper M&S "dedicated" snow tyres?

I've run them and they are great. But BFGs are a close second.
Yes, the M&S are their dedicated winter option for LT. Basically the same thing as the Mastercraft MSR & the Hercules Avalance.

Blizzaks have an interesting technology they are using in their cuv/suv tires, similar to the Nokian's crushed glass tech, I'm not sure if they include it in the LT options though as it may just wear to quickly on anything heavier.

Landgreen

For me personally, id love to be able to run a 35 year round, but i know it would just get me stuck in the drives i do...
& Maybe that's just it.. maybe they are legitimate for plowing in a commercial setting where super steep winding Ice coated drives & aren't common place. I just know what would happen with my setup if i tried to go with them.
There's your problem.

Depends on what the situation demands. There are guys that plow in 2wd most of the winter. Mostly flat parking lots that are salted often.

If Goodyear made Duratracs for tractors I'd probably have them instead of these.

IMG_20210211_132253568.jpg

Scoop'n

There's your problem.

Depends on what the situation demands. There are guys that plow in 2wd most of the winter. Mostly flat parking lots that are salted often.

If Goodyear made Duratracs for tractors I'd probably have them instead of these.

View attachment 213480
Damn.. Those must cost a pretty penny..

Have you seen the marketing videos for those tractor tires? Nokian goes all out with it.. they got super tunned tractors trying to break Guinness records on ice, etc, they really break the conventional advertising mold & turn it into a whole made for TV documentary.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Damn.. Those must cost a pretty penny..

Have you seen the marketing videos for those tractor tires? Nokian goes all out with it.. they got super tunned tractors trying to break Guinness records on ice, etc, they really break the conventional advertising mold & turn it into a whole made for TV documentary.
They're worth every penny.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
If you have 16" wheels these with studs are great winter tyres. I've have a set of 235/85/16 for my '97 F-350
9B687041-791A-423B-8CEE-9B03D9CAC6C4.jpeg

Kvston

I have a truck with the Falkens on them. Good initial report. Dunno on longevity. I have a truck with Wrangler all terrain adventure at’s and they are wearing fast (salt truck). Cooper AT3’s are not good.

I also experimented with Thunderer ranger AT/R studded on another truck. Too soon on longevity, traction is average. Price point is great. Had their MT’s on a dually and got 24k out of them.
update. The ranger at/r won’t be recommended. studs on perimeter are useless when inflated to proper-not max-press.

Falkens have been good. Wearing well.

wranglers decent not great.