Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooper AT3 XLT 275/70R18 or..
Falken Wildpeak AT 3W 275/65R18. Performance specs almost exact. $11 difference/tire in favor of Coops...both E rated
Can get Wildpeak AT's in non 3W in 70R18...however less performance ratings in ice/snow traction and ride comfort...by like 1 point rating.

Just splitting hairs??

2,596 Posts
Falken Wildpeak AT 3W 275/65R18. Performance specs almost exact. $11 difference/tire in favor of Coops...both E rated
Can get Wildpeak AT's in non 3W in 70R18...however less performance ratings in ice/snow traction and ride comfort...by like 1 point rating.

Just splitting hairs??
How long did it take to wear out the Transforce ATs? I'm counting down the kms over here.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Yea, they are no bueno in the snow. Otherwise, they're alright.
I was really disappointed with mine. IIRC I got 20-25K out of them, by the time they were half worn they were hard as rocks and might as well have been slicks. Never again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have wildpeaks on mine. i have about 30-35k on them and will be buying new for next winter. very good all around traction. my transforce i only got 24k on them

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
Interesting how they last. I tried the Cooper AT3's and they did pretty good in snow, but they didn't last for crap. And at about half tread they sucked in snow.

Got 27,000 out of my BFG's, warranty was 50,000. So by set 3 I should have a free set of tyres. The BFG's did quite well despite the rears being at the wear bars...but didn't want to wait any longer.

·
Registered
49,885 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a truck with the Falkens on them. Good initial report. Dunno on longevity. I have a truck with Wrangler all terrain adventure at’s and they are wearing fast (salt truck). Cooper AT3’s are not good.

I also experimented with Thunderer ranger AT/R studded on another truck. Too soon on longevity, traction is average. Price point is great. Had their MT’s on a dually and got 24k out of them.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I have duratracs on my Chevy best thing i bought

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
We've been running the Firestone x/t on a few trucks now. They seem to be holding up well, 2 trucks are on their 2nd season, on 1 ton duallys that plow and salt. They were priced fair, and perform better than the stock Michelin LTX A/T2.

If your willing to spend a few more $$, look at the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. Made by Toyo, but we've seen better wear from the Nittos.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I bought my Ram 2500 in July 2015. I used the factory Firestone Transforce AT tires the first (2015/16) season, they sucked....worse tires I've ever used plowing!

Before the 2016 hunting season (2016/17 winter) at about 11k miles, I put Goodyear Duratrac tires on it. Best mud/snow tire I've ever used.
My first set on this truck (got about 48k miles) had balancing issues. Had to have them rebalanced at every 5k mile tire rotation. My current set has been a lot better so far.

Just my $0.02, NYH1.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

Just splitting hairs??
Where are you getting the " Performance specs" from? I hope NOT from the tire maker. Those nubers they give for wear and traction are number each tire Co makes up. there is no standard to compare a BFG wear of 100 to a Cooper wear of 100.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts