1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

tipical rust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dany, Aug 27, 2001.

  1. dany

    dany Member
    Messages: 89

    i have a 86 chevy full size and i want to do a paint job how do i go about replacing my cab corder do i cut it out? how do i do prep work? thanks
  2. plowking35

    plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT
    Messages: 2,923

    You will have to purchase a replacement cab corner. then cut out the rust from the existing cab corner, grind the area clean, and then cut the replacement corner to either over lap the cut area, or to match up underneath the cut area. Weld or braze the new piece, and then flush grind the area. Light skim of body filler, and sand,prime and paint.
    Eastwood makes a nice flanging tool so that even with the overlap, you will end up with a flush joint.
    Now all this reminds me that I have 2 trucks that need some TLC.
  3. dany

    dany Member
    Messages: 89

    so you just buy a cab corner to cut out the section you need and then lay it on there with a mig? does eastwood have a website?
  4. reallyrusty

    reallyrusty Member
    Messages: 71

  5. sonjaab

    sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,425

    Check out Keystone products
    Don't know the web url
    They sell all that stuff very reasonable.