Snow Plowing Forum banner

thinking of getting started for short money

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Frank 
#1 ·
I would like to start plowing with a friend of mine. We figured we could get into the plowing business with 2 snowblowers for around $2000, just to see what would happen, rather than risk $5000 at least in startup money for a plow truck. I own a landscape company already and have at least 30 potential residential drives to plow, at probably $30 avergage each driveway, 10 feet by 70 feet avergage size. What would u do, go for the cheap low risk way, or bet the farm , so to speak?

#3 ·
http://www.whiteoutdoor.com/Scripts/Common/Generic_Nav.asp?Brand=2&Content=160&Nav=2&prod=822

MTD have done great improvement to the gears box and upgrade few bushing to bearing. The steer control is very helpful.

I have also 3 12/33 MTD, 6 & 7 years old, Work great with appropriate maintenance and need some rebuild after 5 seasons.

This is the blower I use this years for a residential routes. If your 30 customer are close, no more than 3 to 4 hours will be need for one guys to clean all them once.

I went back to university last years for a green certificate, so using my corolla 4wd give me nice profits and a lot of time to study during the winter.

#6 ·
If you are only going to use snowblowers, stick to small residential drives. You can't take on parking lots or large drives with your snowblower. The end result will be very low profit margins, and you will decide that plowing with a snowblower isn't for you.

Geoff

#7 ·
dmk395

I have a Toro single stage with the 6.5h.p. engine.Cost me $700 new. Originally bought to do sidewalks etc. but found
myself using it on driveways also. Takes me about the same amount of time as plowing and it does a better job getting down to the pavement. Light enough to get out of truck by yourself.

I agree with Michael Froncyk. No need for a partner.

#13 ·
forget the partner idea

i wouldnt buddy up unless you get 70% and your buddy gets 30%, also if the drives are close together just get a compact tractor with a plow or loader on it and drive from site to site,you can get them for around 1500-3000 used, i see people with them going down the road all the time after a storm.
As for verry small parking lots with a blower, it can be done, it is just like a wide driveway.

#14 ·
Ditch the partner idea - partners are usually only good for splitting the spoils. Been there too.

Since this year is a wash for a startup, look at your business plan and your present equipment with an eye towards next year. If a 4x4 pickup is in the works, then go with a professional (ie insurance) arm to the business. Agree with your partner that you are going to use the customer list as a basis from which to grow, and that the plowing is your show.

Never did like snowblowers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.