1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about getting a 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bobingardner, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. bobingardner

    bobingardner Senior Member
    Messages: 136

    I was at a Chevy dealer today and looked at a 2006 2500 HD regular cab, 8' bed, 6L engine, tow and plow prep package. If I understood him correctly the deal he was offering was $26800 (invoice), minus $3000 rebate, minus $14000 for my 2004 Silverado 1500, plus $4000 for a Fisher 8' HD plow. I declined the offer because I feel my Silverado is worth at least $17000 since it has an almost brand new plow. I've been thinking about it since leaving the dealership and am wondering if I should go back and see if the offer is still available. Am I asking too much for my truck? Edmunds says he can sell it for about $16000 and that's without the plow.
  2. TLS

    TLS PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,425

    Does GM still offer the contractor upfitter package. Buy the truck in your company name and get $900 towards a snowplow.
  3. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    What do you owe on your truck ?
    Tell them 17,000 go from there.
  4. TLS

    TLS PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,425

    Trade it w/o the plow!

    Or, just sell it outright.

    Do you have enough to float the new truck until you sell it locally?

    When snow hits, and perfectly working plow truck will sell!

    Used market is junk right now. Has been for a while.

    Your still going to take a wash on a "less than 2 y/o truck". You just took the BIGGEST depreciation hit you can.
  5. bobingardner

    bobingardner Senior Member
    Messages: 136

    I'm not sure how much I owe on the truck but think it's around $15000. I'm thinking of paying off the loan, financing the 2500HD, then selling the 1500 privately, but as TLS pointed out the used truck market is in a lull because the manufacturers are offering such good deals on the new ones. I may be better off just taking the $14000. The deal fell apart when I insisted on $18000 for the old truck. Maybe I should drop the price to $17000 and be willing to settle for a little less.
  6. TLS

    TLS PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,425

    Personally, I'd wait.

    Live with it another year or so.

    The new '07's are coming. Maybe something new and exciting? The '06's haven't changed at all from your '04.

    That or wait for a late model used with low miles.

    Lots of guys buy the 6.0 and want more (diesel), they then sell. Let them take the hit and buy slightly used.

    Just a thought.

    Now, if you had a 10 year old truck.....different story.
  7. Detroitdan

    Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,937

    I've found Edmunds to be somewhat unreliable, along with Kelley Blue Book. I like NADA myself, but maybe you should check all three and get an idea where you stand. Is your 1500 a regular cab also? The prices are about what I see around here for a new plow truck. Have you looked for an 05 leftover? Money to be saved there. I have two Chevy dealers I like to deal with, one because they always give me great deals, another because I know a salesman there. If you are interested let me know, they are both in NH. I'll get you the phone numbers. My friend the salesman tells me it's slow, so they are really making deals right now. I would think it's getting late in the season for a plow, so they probably really dont want to get stuck with any.
  8. bobingardner

    bobingardner Senior Member
    Messages: 136

    After sleeping on it I've decided to wait on the truck. The 2500HD was an almost perfect match for what I'm looking for but the hit I would take on the trade in is too much. Thanks for the advice.