Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like winter is over for most of the country. Here in Northeast PA, it came in like a lion with 15 inches on November 15th, and ended with 3 inches in the higher elevations on March 22. In between, it was so-so, we received only 44 inches this season, which was about 30 inches less than the totals for each of the last two seasons. As a company, we did ok by added a few larger accounts and dropping a few PITAs. Already trying to line up new accounts for next year, and dreaming about updating equipment. How was 2018/2019 for everyone else?

· Registered
7,360 Posts
I haven't heard an official total, but I believe we were over 60" for a total. Started right after Christmas. Most of the accumulation came in 4-5, 2-3 day events . 8- 15" at a time followed by 30-50 mph winds.
March came in like a lion, the first 10 days and then we were done. Although we are known for a late April blizzard to end the year. We never put equipment away till May.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
After this winter and looking at new trucks today. I'm going to rethink the whole plowing thing.
I'm thinking I could sell all my equipment, buy a charter fishing boat and winter in the Caribbean. With my wife staying here and working ,I think I could get by with the money she'll send me plus the charter will be a cash cow, what could possibly go wrong?
Sky Watercraft Motor vehicle Tree Vehicle

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Well I found out under the new tax laws sell or trading in equipment you now pay long term capital gains tax!!!! Yup really buy a new truck sell the old or trade in you pay capital gains. You could continue to pay over and over again on the same money

· Registered
15,616 Posts
Well I found out under the new tax laws sell or trading in equipment you now pay long term capital gains tax!!!! Yup really buy a new truck sell the old or trade in you pay capital gains. You could continue to pay over and over again on the same money
You were always "supposed" to pay capital gains on anything over it's depreciated value...

· Registered
2,582 Posts
Although I think this belongs in a different thread, it has always been this way for businesses.

You pay tax on the difference between what your book value is and what you sold it for, or take a loss if the difference is negative. You already had a tax benefit by reducing your income through depreciation.

Edit - AJ beat me to it.

· Registered
15,616 Posts
Although I think this belongs in a different thread, it has always been this way for businesses.

You pay tax on the difference between what your book value is and what you sold it for, or take a loss if the difference is negative. You already had a tax benefit by reducing your income through depreciation.

Edit - AJ beat me to it.
Sorry...

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Don't you "scrap" old equipment?

As for winter being over...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.