Snow Plowing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Back on topic. About this "great resignation", in the next two-2-to-too-tu years, how are these "employees" ya'll beetching about gonna come to work when they have no where to live because they can't even afford a roof over their heads even when you pay them 25 bucks an hour?

Descisions...descisions.

·
Registered
16,489 Posts
I think this goes in line with the original concept here...

What do you do with the employee that is very good at what they do? So much that them being in such control of their job, when a position that comes up that they would like to move to, you don't want to move them out of the position they are in?
But if you continue to not choose them for other positions, you could stand to loose them from your team forever?

So I know the easy answer is award them financially. What if that is not either an option or if the years of monotony of the job have made it where the money no longer is a motivator?

·
Registered
13,433 Posts

What do you do with the employee that is very good at what they do? So much that them being in such control of their job, when a position that comes up that they would like to move to, you don't want to move them out of the position they are in?
But if you continue to not choose them for other positions, you could stand to loose them from your team forever?

So I know the easy answer is award them financially. What if that is not either an option or if the years of monotony of the job have made it where the money no longer is a motivator?
Is said employee close to retiring?

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts

Has the employee voiced his dissatisfaction himself?

·
Registered
49,884 Posts
What's going to cost more? Losing him completely or moving him up and replacing him with someone not so capable.

·
Registered
16,489 Posts
Has the employee voiced his dissatisfaction himself?
Yes and no. To their direct boss, yes. Their direct boss is not the one who makes the decisions on these type of movements. Their direct boss would move them in a heartbeat... but there are other hands in the cookie jar.

So they are told a couple of years ago that "they did not the movement because they needed them to be a leader due to all the new hires coming on board that year"

The last time they were not selected for a position they were told that the reason that they were not considered was due to the fact that "they had only done their one job since they started in their line of work, and they were looking for someone who was more rounded"

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts
Yes and no. To their direct boss, yes. Their direct boss is not the one who makes the decisions on these type of movements. Their direct boss would move them in a heartbeat... but there are other hands in the cookie jar.

So they are told a couple of years ago that "they did not the movement because they needed them to be a leader due to all the new hires coming on board that year"

The last time they were not selected for a position they were told that the reason that they were not considered was due to the fact that "they had only done their one job since they started in their line of work, and they were looking for someone who was more rounded"
So... he wants to move into a different position with different responsibilities and he was denied the promotion due to not having the experience of doing different responsibilities...?

·
Registered
16,489 Posts
So... he wants to move into a different position with different responsibilities and he was denied the promotion due to not having the experience of doing different responsibilities...?
Yeah... I know. :rolleyes:

One year you are told:
We wont move you cause we need a leader in your position

and the next time a position comes up you are told:
We won't move you cause you have only done the one job here

·
Registered
16,489 Posts
Too young to remember when jobs weren't so easy to come by?
I realize you do a lot of service work, but he'll be lower on the totem pole somewhere else.
Not my employee.

I have no doubt in my mind that they could move anywhere they wanted and absolutely own the position just based on work ethic.

They have been sought out by other places in the past, but it was for a move to the same position MOL and would be a pay cut to move just due to the demographic of the area.

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts
Yeah... I know. :rolleyes:

One year you are told:
We wont move you cause we need a leader in your position

and the next time a position comes up you are told:
We won't move you cause you have only done the one job here
Then it sounds like you already know the answer - money isn't likely to fix it and if this has been going on for years now, he's probably going to jump ship, if for no other reason than bitterness and anger which is a very powerful motivator.

Heck, I feel mildly irked on his behalf just reading the story.

edit:

I have no doubt in my mind that they could move anywhere they wanted and absolutely own the position just based on work ethic.

They have been sought out by other places in the past, but it was for a move to the same position MOL and would be a pay cut to move just due to the demographic of the area.
If he can easily move to another company, then take everything I said above and 2x it.

·
Registered
16,489 Posts
Then it sounds like you already know the answer
:nod: :confused:

I already have spoke my peace... if it was me, I would have been gone years ago.

The saying "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" has come up multiple times, just due to the number of applications and interviews that have done, and when they sit you down to let you know that yet again you were not selected for reasons that are not "performance based" (using in context of course)

·
Registered
49,884 Posts

I already have spoke my peace... if it was me, I would have been gone years ago.

The saying "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" has come up multiple times, just due to the number of applications and interviews that have done, and when they sit you down to let you know that yet again you were not selected for reasons that are not "performance based" (using in context of course)
Sounds like you need a beer for this poor fella...

·
Registered
13,433 Posts

I've been down that road and stayed too long, because of convenience and a couple other factors. Under paid, but wanted to see a project through. I should have hit the road rather than stay.

·
Registered
49,884 Posts

So reading between the lines...you're going to become a lawn monkey?

·
Registered
49,884 Posts
I have tried...

They said I was overqualified cause I can color in the lines
If I had feelings, they'd be hurt. :laugh::laugh::laugh::drinkup:

Reactions: jato
61 - 80 of 94 Posts