The 68RFE six-speed automatic transmission

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Jan 12, 2019.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 PlowSite Veteran

the people that own ram trucks here how do you like The 68RFE six-speed automatic transmission paired with diesel ?

2. JustinPittsburg

JustinPittsburg Junior Member

Pretty happy with mine. We just finished up a year long trip pulling a 10k travel trailer. 40k miles, pulling all over the west with zero issues. 70k on the truck with no issues. Getting a Boss VXT put on Wednesday for the northern NH snow so I can't speak to how it plows yet but I anticipate it'll do fine.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

103K on mine, towing and plowing. No problems yet. Hate the push button thing to get it in first gear.

NYH1 likes this.
  4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you’re plowing a ton of gravel, do yourself a favor and get the DXT instead of VXT.

5. Bighammer

Bighammer Senior Member

Just got mine a couple months ago. It's my first automatic and it seems decent, but it does feel different plowing. I had better control with my nv5600. The transfer of power is more precise and predictable with a clutch and throttle, over just a throttle.

6. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I have put 110K km on my 09 68rfe, and most of the time its been pulling a 8000k lb trailer and pushing a 10ft blade, the 09 trans and previous were destined for doom after a 160K km, cross flow leaks in the valve body, but mine has 196K on it now and still shifts and drives beautiful, I did add the BD pressure fooler in the trans wiring harness to try and up the line pressure a little, and i also added a in series under the box trans cooler to help keep the trans temps down while im plowing

7. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite Veteran
    from 406

I have 150K on my 68rfe.
    80% highway 20%towing our TT in the mountains.
    It shifts and feels to me the same as It did when it was new.

I change both filters and most of the trans fluid every 64K.

Jmo
    I think most of the transmission issues arose from guys treating their trucks like sports cars and racing them.

( It’s my highway queen, I have another truck forrunning around town and Plowing with)

8. Blaster99

Blaster99 Junior Member

If you work this tranny it will fail eventually. Get the Aisin it will last longer. If you do the mods on the 68rfe it is a good tranny but that does come at a cost.

9. Mark Oomkes

What mods?

10. OP
    OP
    PLOWMAN45

Yeah i see most are ordered with an asin

11. Kvston

Kvston Member

Aisin made the 68RFE...The 68 is better than the 47 or 48. Not an Allison, but you get a Cummins instead of a Duramax so its a wash.

12. OP
    OP
    PLOWMAN45

Well i saw this you tube channel i will get the name a ford with cummins and allison

13. Mark Oomkes

#1 You can't order these transmissions. Ram builds them with or without depending on the model.

#2 You can't get an Aisin in a 2500.

#3 You can get an Aisin in 3500 and up models even if it only has the 6.4 gasser.

14. Mark Oomkes

No way!

These have been around for ages. Even in 250s and 350s. It all depends on how much money you have.

15. OP
    OP
    PLOWMAN45

i would only get a 3500 diesel at that