Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 234 Posts
In the past we bought older trucks and reconditioned them but at some point you have to decide what business you are in. Many of my folks aren't able to do on site repairs and reliability is critical. So, no we buy all new trucks and plows. We also are getting the newest technology as well. Different solutions depending on where you are in business and personal preference!

tbi;1861182 said:
What's plan B when these older trucks start failing in large event?
There's a persona that older vehicles are subject to breakdowns, in some cases it's true however it can be false too. Preventive maintenance is crucial for reliability, this goes for any vehicle.

Whats plan B, if your newer truck breaks during a storm? I guess the trick is to have a plan B, no matter what you drive. I bought a 93 K3500 standard cab, SRW 6.5 deisel about 8 years ago. It had no rust and about 30,000 on a new GM longblock. I hung a new 810 blizzard on it when I got it, and its been my main plow truck ever since. Total investment was 14,500. I like the looks of the newer trucks, but doubt I will ever be able to afford one. I can't speak on the durability of the newer trucks, but the 93 chev. and the two 97 f350's I have, are all tanks, and to date anyway, none of them have ever left me stranded during a storm.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
tbi;1861182 said:
What's plan B when these older trucks start failing in large event?
Complete spares - truck, plow, salter, everything waiting to be needed. However the older, simple stuff seems more reliable in some ways

I think the older trucks are just as reliable if not more than the new trucks they have real steel parts not plastic no sensors to go bad can be fixed with simple hand tools no need for a scanner . My 76 highboy can sit for months and fire right up nothing to drain the battery but let my 04 sit for the same time and the clock and computer memory will have drain the battery down and before you crank it the glow plugs fuel pump computer are all drawing amps

BUFF;1861283 said:
There's a persona that older vehicles are subject to breakdowns, in some cases it's true however it can be false too. Preventive maintenance is crucial for reliability, this goes for any vehicle.
Agreed!

My truck earns the same amount of money plowing driveways as a 2015 truck would. Difference is, mine paid itself off in less than a year and besides operating expenses, has been pure profit since.

10-15 year old trucks aren't that old, and aren't that difficult to fix. If mine breaks down, I can usually fix it myself and parts are readily available. If its beyond a quick repair, I network with guys in the area that could cover for me if necessary. Even if they take my money from that storm, I'm still making more money than if I were making monthly payments.

we have a recyclers license. which means we can buy wrecked trucks and fix them and run those. all of our trucks are 96-05 fords and chevys. the most we have into a truck is 2100 except the plow truck we bought wrecked we have more into bacause of the blown tranny that came with it a few months later.
so idk if you would consider these new or old but they work for us. the fords with the solid front axles definitely hold up a ton bettewr than our chevy with IFS.

if you could have the old trucks with the luxury and power of a new truck thats what i would do. If you could have the quiet cabs and comfy seats and dash lights that work. worse case you blow a tranny in a storm or before one, everybody i know has a turbo350 or 400 sitting around and axles are everywhere for older trucks. and pulling a tranny or axle on a older truck is cake compared to a new one. as long as things arnt completly rusted together that is.

Guys are crazy rabbits driving those old trucks. I drive only brand New rides with brand New plows. Its insane driving a 22 year old Cummins powered Dodge, with a Unimount from the same era. Only a nutjob would do that..

Let me know how much fun you have making money when the heater core blows, or the wiper motor dies, or a brake line blows on your second account in a Noreaster. New isn't for everyone, but for those of us who own new, a payment can be planned on, expected. While you pull a leaky gas tank, I will write out a check for Ford motor credit...then go plow.

Yes a payment is planned but if you pull maintenance and take care of your equipment you have no more worries then a new truck and you don't have payments to worry about if its a bad winter plus I saw lots of new trucks gelled up on the side of the road last year and not one old one .

You can run 20+ year old equipment and have it not be junk. A few spare parts and a basic Craftsman tool set in your toolbox can keep the older stuff going through a storm just fine.

Would I like to buy a new truck and put a plow on it? Sure would...

Better heat / defrost / quieter inside / new truck smell...

But I love my old ride too much to do something like that...

I went old school. Great to be debt free. Especially when we have yet to receive any snow here. What happens if we have a dry year. Maybe 2 or three push snows. If you are planning on plowing snow to make your payments and there is a lack of the frozen stuff, then what? Im sure you have a plan B but you maybe adding a little more water to that soup for dinner.
IMHO, preventive maintenance is key. If you go with an older rig don't hold back on the cost of parts. Buy the upgraded aftermarket equipment that can withstand the punishment of plowing. Especially the front end IE: spicer U joints, Bilstein shocks, tranny filter, new oil, keep everything greased, Use a battery load tester before and after an event. If you think the alternator is going, change it or have it at least tested. Last year so many of the guys I worked with could have prevented there breakdowns. Half of those trucks were Fairly new vehicles. Two of them were outside there warranties the bill for the repair on one of them was steep. With all that said, I would love a new truck. :)

onemanband;1897542 said:
IMHO, preventive maintenance is key. If you go with an older rig don't hold back on the cost of parts. Buy the upgraded aftermarket equipment that can withstand the punishment of plowing. Especially the front end IE: spicer U joints, Bilstein shocks, tranny filter, new oil, keep everything greased, Use a battery load tester before and after an event. If you think the alternator is going, change it or have it at least tested.
Exactly......Thumbs Up

Its hard to find trucks that old that are going to be reliable enough to make it through a winter. But i guess its what you can afford, I prefer new trucks or slightly used.

I stay with new trucks. I keep up on the maintenance. I like to make sure my truck stays under factory warranty. I trade every few years and I always have a truck payment. I know that payment takes care of breakdowns. I also know that not everyone will agree with what I do. This works for me.

You could debate this one until you're blue in the face. In my experience though, I have never regretted buying a new or late model truck; but have regretted many used truck purchases.

21 - 40 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.