Switching to blowing service

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by PTSolutions, Nov 25, 2010.

1. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I didn’t even know this thread existed until today, 2800 replies is too much reading for me, but I’ve been skimming through this thread all day. Seems like everyone is using inverted blowers.

I’ve been using my old 1500 Silverado as a plow truck for the past couple of years and putting my ariens blower in the back. While that setup worked well for us I know it’s not as efficient as a tractor setup. My buddy runs a business in town and has tractors as well, he’s been in the snow game a lot longer than I have and has been a huge help with our decision on jumping into the residential tractor/blower service. Super excited to say that truck is now for sale and we just purchased a new kubota B2650 with loader and 6’ straight blade on the front as we still have some longer laneways to take care of and a 64” rear blower. I’m thinking about an HLA 6’ straight blade instead of the kubota blade as they are roughly the same price, but the dealer said HLA is about 6-8 weeks out right now.

The dealer said they would loan me a box pusher for the front until the blade came in. Not sure what to do there...any thoughts? I like that the HLA has more of a curve to the blade for better snow rolling and the kubota blade looks to be more of a vertical blade.

I had the option to get an inverted blower for the tractor. I wasn’t aware they were made for this small of a tractor, but my dealer says they do. I was originally thinking of a B3350 as the rear PTO has about another 9hp over the B2650, but I was advised against it by my buddy and the dealer as it has the DEF and they have cold starting problems and supposedly don’t like to heat the cab very well.

I’m completely new to tractors so any advice is much appreciated!

2. Landgreen

Landgreen Senior Member

9hp would be 35% more power. That is a significant amount of power you will be missing. With snowblowers the more the better.

If you're serious about residential snowblowing and decide to go to an inverted I recommend getting a much larger tractor. If you read most of this thread you'll notice that 85-100hp is an adequate range.

And you mentioned laneways? And inverted can do that too depending on the length of road. No plow needed.

CAT 245ME, HadiCoop and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I wanted the 3350 no doubt for that increase in HP forsure, but even the dealer told me to stay away from them because they’re having heat issues.

I’d love a big tractor with more HP and eventually I’ll get there...but we all start somewhere right?

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If you can start off with the right equipment you’re probably better oof not starting.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  5. Landgreen

Landgreen Senior Member

This will be my third season with inverted blowers and I wish I could have bought them years ago. Our tractors have quite a bit of travel time and still manage to knock out around 130 drives each in about 6-7 hours. Looking at where you live the drives look straight, short and packed together. I would kill for density like that.

CAT 245ME, HadiCoop and Mark Oomkes like this.
  6. Landgreen

Landgreen Senior Member

Your town might be small but getting a inverted blower route would be like shooting fish in a barrel. I would be making plans for next year.

Fergus Ontario.PNG

HadiCoop likes this.
  7. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I will eventually get there, I need to be a bit more versatile right now as I have some longer laneways that I need the front blade for. Until I can get more smaller driveways this is the setup I need right now.
    Our town is dense but there’s a few bigger players with bigger setups that have been doing it for years...they have a lot of the work. There’s also a ton of competition in my area. I plan on pricing very aggressively next year though.

There is a company close by that makes inverted 5’ inverted blowers for 20hp tractors. This is something I will look into once I gain more clients.
    We also do a lot of landscaping in the summer so we felt like we can possibly use the bucket and forks on some of our jobs. Most jobs we use skidsteers and excavators, but if we can put the tractor to use on a few jobs we think it might help.

anyways, I’ll post a picture or 2 next week when we pick it up.

8. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

Question for you guys that have been doing this for a while now...how do you go about pricing when your trying to get everyone on the same street? I’m sure it has to be really worth it to pick up a lot of new clients fast. I realize I would be able to charge less if there was less travel time.
    So how would I go about making it really worth it to the potential clients this time of year especially. We’ve picked up a few already using door hangers and we plan on ordering more and getting them handed out within the next couple of days. Any help on pricing and how to pickup new clients this time of year would be very helpful!

Lots of rain in the forecast so I feel winter hasn’t even begun yet. Thanks guys, appreciate it

9. BLPL

BLPL Junior Member

20191203_105719.jpg wondering if anyone is running any type of liquid deicing systems on their inverted rigs? We have been experimenting with this set up for 2 seasons and it seems to work well. We have 30 gallon saddle tanks on front loader mount brackets and a 50 wand we can pull out for walks. Obviously you dont do large commercial sites with setup, but for small sites and residential drives, it's pretty handy. We have tried staging totes to refill at offsite locations along route also. Works great on steep residential drives and saves having to dispatch another asset to salt/spray.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting

Mr.Markus likes this.
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Im going to stay out if this as i know too many of the guys already involved in this market...that map looks like a great density my brothers house is on it and few if any actually hire out their snow.

12. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

C77F0C47-2B2D-41FA-9850-B53D0CF16F80.jpeg 56E8870A-35ED-4D37-848F-4536BFD4FE03.jpeg 51B5752A-EFAB-47B8-B7DE-711F49A20A85.jpeg 57742C6F-6B93-4BA3-9324-1CE6A59D9219.jpeg
    I have a few in that area. The price has to be right for them to buy. But it’s an older neighbourhood anyways and typically they do it themselves. I will be targeting certain neighbourhoods next week in fergus and elora and hopefully we’ll pick up a bunch more yet. Here’s the new setup...lots to do tomorrow.

512high likes this.
  13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

When I traded my 6105D for the 6115M, the faster road speed with the 24 speed powerquad was a big help, my driveways are spread out as well but the 6115M with the new Normand N100 HYB did 160 drives in about 6 hours. One challenge I had to face with building a couple blower routes was the fact that 80 percent of the homes had there own snow blower. So with that, prices had to be reasonable in order to get them to come aboard. And it has been a challenge since starting in 2015

BUFF, Mr.Markus, Landgreen and 2 others like this.
  14. Landgreen

Landgreen Senior Member

There are times when I cringe knowing that my price is lower than the competition and I'm sure they think I'm a lowballer. But then I look at production of the tractors where the drives are tight together and confirm the marketing and pricing works in my favor. A comparison I make is condo complexes vs average homeowner driveways. What we charge per drive in condo complexes is half that of a typical driveway yet the hourly production rate is nearly double at condos since there is no road time. As we get more and more drives in a subdivision the density is more like a condo complex yet we are charging more than twice the amount.

One of my operators was gone yesterday so I ran his route. First time I did an entire tractor route. Road time is a killer. The first 8 or so drives are relatively far apart (and I had a hell of a time finding three of them in the dark) so looking at the rest of the route I figured I might be in the tractor for an eternity. Once I got into the denser areas the list went really quick.

15. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Senior Member

Question for the guys running Normand hybrid. Do you add an additional thicker blade below the standard cutting edge? Like a 1/2 Hardox blade in addition/below. I hate the idea of possibly wearing into housing. On all of our other blowers we do this. I guess I haven’t laid down on the floor to analyze if this would even work with the advanced skid shoes. Let me know if you do anything on yours. Ran our first run last night with a 6060/82hybrid and killed it. And broke the top three point link so I guess literally killed at the end

16. kevinjd

kevinjd Junior Member

Did you break the blower link or the tractor link?

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Flipped our edge around this fall, was worn at the corners. Adjusted the shoes.

Full season last year. Will have to watch it closer this year as it will be on the ground much more than last year.

18. White_Gold11

Adjustable tractor link I believe it’s called. Anyone ever use something else like a coil over shock? Then when you hit a crack or bump you would have a absorber in a sense. Or I will just buy a beefed up Adjustable link

19. boutch

boutch Senior Member

Do you have any pictures of the damages.

You need an accumulator on the 3 point. I have one and it made a huge difference.

BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  20. White_Gold11

We have accumulator on the machine. We will do the run through on Monday. Might not be working properly.. we just got machine and it came on it.