Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
R&R Yard Design;1862937 said:
Hi guys we are looking for some help I found a kubota m9540 with 3095 hrs on it for 33500 is that a good tractor to use with a 92 inch blower it comes with a loader on it
Price is kinda steep.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Couple quick questions for the experts.

We had a big inch of fairly wet snow this morning, great morning to give it a try for a new setup and a new guy.

But, he had some problems.

#1 Lots of plugging, he said he was running full RPM's, but it still plugged up. Any suggestions?

#2 He also said the hydros for the chute and deflector would not work at full RPM's. It's a JD 5101e. Doesn't sound right to me, but I haven't run it and have no reason to doubt him, as the operator is very smart and good with equipment.

If you need further info, I'll get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Herm Witte;1871511 said:
What you doing plowing one inch (or less)? :) We've not had a lot of issues plugging up, but working speed always a factor. You said he was working at a high rpm, which range? It is important with wet snow to keep the rpm's up, move to a lower range. the proper range for the conditions will help.

Regarding the chute and deflector control issue I do know that one our blowers is more responsive than the other. I'd ask Your tractor dealer about it and possibly Steve at Fargo Snow.
At least we were plowing an inch, Herm.

There was a certain large contractor with red trucks that was plowing a half inch or less yesterday morning. I can understand wanting to get out the first time to work out the bugs, but let's be realistic to the customers here.

We will be in contact with the dealer today, and I will pass along excav8tor's recommendation.

Thanks

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
SDLandscapes VT;1884375 said:
For the first time I plugged the chute yesterday and it was my own fault---I let off the throttle to save a driveway marker I had sucked in just as I hit the plow furrow and that was all she wrote. If you keep the RPM's up I ve sucked up a puddle before without issue.

As for the hydraulics we have the same issue on our 5410. The hydraulic features "bind" at full RPM's. I would expect on your 5101 by the hydraulic remote plug ins there are some dials with rabbit and turtle---if you turn those down to reduce flow the functionality should return. We don't have the dials and I am in the process of installing some inline flow reducers--I ll let you know how it goes
Thanks, now that we've had some lighter snow and practice, the plugging has been greatly reduced.

And we did make some adjustments to the valves and have possibly solved the problem with the hydros. My mechanic and son could not get it to lock, the normal operator and myself could.

Thanks for the advice all.

1 humorous story. We took over a private road plus about 15 drives on this road. Last year the contractor failed in a huge way because his trucks were undersized. They even missed at least 1 driveway for a month. The road was 1 lane wide in some areas, because they couldn't push the windrows back and the piles they removed from the drives were in the road.

Anyways, they signed 2 year contracts with some of the people, so we didn't get more of the driveways. I was happy with 15. So last week when we had 30", we're blowing the road and drives and one guy, JUST 1, complained to the property management company that we had left a 2-3' pile 8-10' up his driveway and he didn't have time to shovel and his snowblower wouldn't go through it and neither would his SUV. And allegedly the other contractor (from last year) had to make a special trip and had a hard time plowing that huge pile, blah, blah, blah.

Well, I had told my operator to recycle on plowed drives and unplowed drives to go ahead and just keep blowing it up the drives, so, sure we had blown snow into his drive. There was no way in the world he had a 2-3' pile in his driveway though. And not one other complaint.

We explained what, how and why we were doing to the property manager. And also said we could go back to plowing the roadway, which would result in a large windrow at the end of everyone's driveway. Although we would cleanup any that had been plowed previous to us doing the road. We asked if the homeowner could take pictures the next time it happened. And basically told him that it would have been impossible for us to get a 2-3' pile with the snow we had over the entire week. He said "great answer" and we haven't heard anything since.

Not sure if the guy is friends with the other contractor and they put him up to it or if he's just a professional complainer. I can bet if Jon Geer was still running that company that I wouldn't have heard that complaint. But then they might not have lost the contract, either, if he was still managing that company.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
castle456;1889032 said:
Yeah I saw a lot of videos for inverted blowers and they seem faster. I was just trying to figure out why theses guys use that combo.
Good question.

Maybe they work by the hour.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
IDOCTORTREES;1943906 said:
We love our new set up!
What model Deere is that?

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
I need another blower.

Those things are awesome and blow away even a 16' Ebling.

Which reminds me of a funny story if people think back plows are worthless. During our storm a couple weeks ago that gave us around 10" I was plowing one of our private drives. I had made a couple passes already and was starting on the drives. I did 2 1/2 drives one with a second drive to a in-law apartment, the others with turnarounds PLUS the cul-de-sac PLUS replaced a sheer pin in my Ebling in the time it took this guy with just a front plow to plow 1 driveway. The 2 with turnarounds are about 300' long.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
sdlandscapes vt;1967444 said:
so a big day for us--took delivery of the 4066r with h 180 loader. I have the loader on right now because the weight kit has not come in yet--as soon as we have the weights i will ditch the loader. I have one of neige's loaner 86" pronovost blowers on the tractor. The blower won't win a beauty contest, but that combo is awesome. It isn't something i d give to anyone but it is functional. I do plan to put a normand 82-260 hinv on it in the fall.

I did some snow blowing at my shop--we have a space in a warehouse at a trucking company and they have a basement loading dock with a "pit" ramp that hasn't been touched for probably a month--over 18" of drifted in snow--we weren't fast, but faster than a skid steer and a pusher. I m still getting used to the hydro. It will do 19 or 20 on the road if it is flat and smooth hit a hill and 12 is about all you ll get. I m still breaking it in
where are the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
So what's the difference between a 4720 and a 4066? Strictly HP?

Thanks Chad!

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Triple L;1968986 said:
Did you mean 4720?
Color me dyslexic.

That's why my wife won't let me do deposits anymore. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
ehlingerlawn.co;2006194 said:
It's time to start thinking about winter... Have you lined up your advertising, your door hangers, your equipment ?
We have new Normand blowers available, contact me to get more information on our preseason specials!

Jason 763-202-1088
That's a long drive for me, but you never know.

I can't get an answer from the distributor as to who my Normand dealer is anymore. And if they switch dealers, I will have to either purchase from an out of area dealer or a different brand.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Slow, but steady.

Just picked up another site condo/HOA. 80 driveways, I'm sure we won't get all of them, but I know we'll get some.

Ordered another blower today, so I hope it picks up more.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Broncslefty7;2029209 said:
i have been getting pricing of 16-20k on pronovost blowers, it seems a little bit more than what i have seen on here.
Depending on options, you're in the ballpark.

So we had 5 calls from homeowners in the HOA just today. And 1 commercial.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
edgeair;2029478 said:
Provonost fully loaded with back blade just came in at $11,500 CDN, I just about choked even at that. Been quoted 8-9400 for a Normand recently depending on size and options.
Apparently dealers/distributors are getting very rich off us Americans.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
edgeair;2029522 said:
Its interesting isn't it. Although its usually the other way around and we are paying more. It sure can't be shipping, as we are all roughly the same kind of range from the manufacturer.

Should I order 2 or 3 and you can pick yours up when it comes in? prsport
I'd love to if customs weren't such a PITA.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
edgeair;2029655 said:
They are like a woman, you just have to talk sweet with them.
I have issues with bureaucrats.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
15 driveway quotes in 1 neighborhood. Hope to get a bunch more in the 'hood.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Boy I'm glad I don't have to drive to Cedar Rapids for a blower.

My local non-competing blower dealer is 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
1olddogtwo;2031846 said:
I'm sure Buff would meet you there to help load it.
Highly unlikely...........he'd get drunk at the airport and then never call.

·
Registered
50,738 Posts
Not if they can't sell any.

Lots of he said/he said going on. Honestly, I don't remember all the details, but they have never let me down. And that's with over 50+ years of experience with them.

How do I know it wasn't the distributor's fault? Only you do.

PS They had a blower for me if it snowed, might not have been mine, but they had one.

PPS They've been in business for well over 100 years, pretty sure they didn't get there with crappy customer service.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts