1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Summerizing my plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowdayton, Mar 21, 2015.

1. snowdayton

snowdayton Junior Member

Hi all. I've been in the lawn care business for years, but this was my first year plowing. I bought a used truck and plow this past fall to keep my busy in the winter and earn some extra cash. I didn't know much about it, but did some of my residential customers yards. Learned a few things, tore up some turf:D, and made some money.

Anyways, I'm curious if you have an suggestions or rules of thumb in regards to "summerizing" my plow. It is a standard Western plow that's probably 10-15 years old. I've figured out how to take it off the truck, but what sort of maintenance should I do on it before it sits all summer? It will be sitting outside next to a shed. I'm figuring that it should be covered with a tarp as I don't want it to be sitting in the rain and rusting throughout the summer, but what else?

Sorry for what is probably a simple/stupid question, but I would like to make sure it's ready again next winter without having any issues (at least major issues) because I didn't take any precautions now.

Thanks!

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I would just make sure the rams are collapsed and thst you change the fluid. Also set it down on pieces of 2x4 instead of dirt or gravel. No need to tarp it; may even trap moisture and heat.

3. Grump1

Grump1 Member

I sprayed the entire thing with fluid film, then grease all the pivots or pins. If you look on other hydro equipment they have tags saying grease every so many hours. This keeps them from wearing fast and getting loose , or wearing out the frame.
    Note the wear of the cutting edge, and replace if needed. Look for cracked welds or bent frame components. Often flaking paint or rust in these areas will be indication of damage. This can be common and is usually repairable by a good welder.
    Most plow headlights are plastic housings that don't do well in summer sun. Same for rubber hoses. If covered properly, you can reduce UV rays, heat, and moisture for the entire set-up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you dont change the fluid till next fall or end of imo

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I do mine in the fall, but I saw something somewhere saying it was better to do it at the end of the season in case there's water in it. Not that big of a difference when it's changed I guess.

6. Grump1

Grump1 Member

Hmm... yeah we always change it in the fall, but it may be one half dozen or the other. Change is good, not changing it is... bad.
    Was told that condensation forms on underside of the housing cover in the off season, causing some rust to form. This mixes with the fluid to make a paste that clogs up the filter screen.
    I think if covered but vented, to keep the housing from constant heating and cooling by the sun may reduce condensation.
    My buddy's few weeks old Xv2 pump wouldn't work and upon inspection we found the filter screen had collapsed like a tin can, from getting the screen clogged by ice and the suction crushed it around the pickup tube allowing nothing to flow.
    Dealer told us that some of the XV2 pumps had a faulty breather on the reservoir that sometimes allows moisture in .

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

snowdayton: Not a dumb question on your part. Good advice on this forum. Welcome

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you could put some fluid film on the plow and the bowl of the hydro unit

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm 2000 Club Member

wash it with soap and water, paint it, put grease on exposed rams, tuck it away in the barn, if pump has not been gone through recently, have it done