Snow Plowing Forum banner

Sugestion for Product improvement

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  SnowEx Products 
#1 ·
Would it be possible to get an Angle cut done on your receiver hitch mounts. This makes the initial "lining up" Much easier!

#5 ·
wizardsr;1046601 said:
My poor rusty snowex wishes it had a galvanized or stainless frame... ;)
Wizardsr,

Thanks for your comment. We have considered galvanized and stainless steel options before, but keep in mind that these materials can really drive up the price of a unit. Instead, we go with a much heavier-duty steel that many times lasts longer than competitive units with pricier frames. The one drawback is unsightly oxidation, but our frames are strong enough to keep their structural integrity even after years of oxidation.

Of course, nobody likes the appearance of rust on his rig, so we suggest washing down the unit after each use and touching up bare metal surfaces with paint or oil at the end of the season.

Thanks again for your suggestion. We always appreciate the new ideas.

#6 ·
give free spreaders to local snow contractors...?:nod:. lol .... Love your products, will be adding a v box this year!. Not many flaws I know of , Perhaps look at the option of adding LED warning lights/or "scene" lights Have small roller wheels on tailgate models like the express mount kit for the v box (rather than drag spreader on ground roll it !

#7 ·
CJSLAWNSERVICE;1048279 said:
give free spreaders to local snow contractors...?
Sorry we can't help you out with the free spreader! Actually, we did give away two new wireless spreaders at the recent SIMA Symposium in Providence, RI. Perhaps we'll run a similar promotion at next year's symposium in Schaumburg, IL. Not a V-box, but these smaller spreaders are a welcomed addition to any fleet.

Otherwise, we're glad to hear you like our equipment - and your ideas will certainly be discussed at our next R&D meeting. SnowEx was started from a landscaping and snow removal business like yours, and our best ideas continue to come from the field.

Also, best of luck with your new V-box! If you didn't see it unveiled at the recent symposium, be sure to check out our new Salt-Traxx digital job tracker, which works with V-Maxx spreaders to document jobs and track material usage (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103256).

Thanks for your post!

#8 ·
wizardsr;1046601 said:
Love when a manufacturer listens to an end user suggestion! :drinkup:

Take it apart and have it sprayed with Line-X spray on bedliner coating. We spray a ton of salt spreader frames in my area. Whenever someone buys a spreader from me I always recommend they get it coated before they leave the shop with it. They will last forever and won't look like crap on the back of your truck and they are maintenance free.

#9 ·
Here is just a few, but I have plenty more.

I have never tried the western ice breaker but in theory only I like the concept of the hard cover, your tarp system is a pita to deal with. For smaller spreaders. Hinged lids would be nice.

More access doors for cleaning out jams.

Controllers should have a forward and reverse manually, "Jack hammer mode" not sure if you have that or not. And also what the military calls a battle switch, which basically connects power to the motors, bypasses safty devices and will allow the until to work incase your controller fries itself at 2 am. Now I understand that the use of your safeties is to protect the motor and trans, but when the controller goes out, I don't really care, I just need to lay down salt. I have in the past cut open your wiring and wing nut the wire together to make it thru the night.

Weld nuts on the end of auger shafts to allow a wrench to manually turn the auger

#11 ·
Having owned 6+ snowex spreaders, I have tons of product improvements:
Heres a couple
1. plastic or rubber snap-on cover for the bearings
2. 3/4" nut welded to the end of the auger on v-boxes so if the auger gets jammed you can "wrench" on it, literally
3. controller upgrade on the auger control, after 100 it jumps to 200 and doubles the speed of the auger
4. some sort of drain for the spinner enclosure so when I pressure wash it, it does not fill up with water and short the motor out....

#12 ·
wizardsr;1046601 said:
I'm in the process of welding an aluminum frame ( & auger )for my 7500 :redbounce I have a hook-up with a guy for aluminum, Im guessing less than $500 for materials

#14 · (Edited)
elite1msmith;1066958 said:
your tarp system is a pita to deal with. For smaller spreaders. Hinged lids would be nice.
I'd disagree with that... Just about everyone throws 2 yards in a 1.5 yard spreader here... and have it heaped up a good foot above the top of the spreader and they dont run the tarps... How stupid would that look with the plastic hinged door sticking up in the air cause you cant close the lid it cause its overloaded...

The tarp is really easy to use and stupid proof IMO... dont change that

I think a factory beacon light would be nice, or a factory mount anyways, We've built our own and then bolted them on...

Built in backup light that has a switch on the controller would be really nice... save us guys a ton of extra wiring and headache's

#15 ·
Triple L;1072421 said:
I'd disagree with that... Just about everyone throws 2 yards in a 1.5 yard spreader here... and have it heaped up a good foot above the top of the spreader and they dont run the tarps... How stupid would that look with the plastic hinged door sticking up in the air cause you cant close the lid it cause its overloaded...

The tarp is really easy to use and stupid proof IMO... dont change that

I think a factory beacon light would be nice, or a factory mount anyways, We've built our own and then bolted them on...

Built in backup light that has a switch on the controller would be really nice... save us guys a ton of extra wiring and headache's
B

i agree with the built in back up lights and built in strobe lights. Very good ideas.

#16 ·
Triple L;1072421 said:
and have it heaped up a good foot above the top of the spreader and they dont run the tarps...

thats the problem, the trap is such a pita people avoid using it or get too lasy , then the salt gets wet and if you have to travel a distance its a rock.
i heap mine to, but thats not to say you couldnt leave the lids open, or remove them if need be. i only bring it up becasue i saw a guy (didnt work for me) climbing in the bed of his truck, and slipped right off, broke his knee tring to put the tarp on.

i also like how the spill off ends up on the gorund and not in the bed. i have seen guys put ply wood on the sides of vboxes just to avoid that

i like the back up light idea tho-smart

#17 ·
steeling the idea from JD and his rear plows

i like the idea of having a switch on the spreader, when it jams up, and then i have to get out of the truck,...mess with it, ...walk back to the truck..try it ...no didnt work...walk back to the spreader......back to the cab...oooo there was some ice, that hurt!

you get the idea the ability to flip it on while your standing there just to test it out is kinda nice

#18 ·

Hi well I thought I would chime in on this one and give you my 2 pennies worth, I have just bought my first tailgate spreader a 575. love the build quality think its a good bit of kit but I think as you seem to listen to what people have to say if you take some of the stuff which other people are saying and I am going to re iterate it will be a top notch product.
The following are in no perticular order:

1. How about hingeing the lid so you dont have to put it to one side when reloading?
2. I think the screen in the top could do with having smaller holes as stuff can still get through which is big enough to block the auger.
3. As someone has said cutting the socket at a slight angle will make things much easier when it comes to fitting it, have already done that to mine.
4. As some of the other guys have said about the bigger models how about a optional flashing light and optional rear view lights.
5. Leading on from 4 and even just for the vibrator this would be good. How about a 'pro' version of the controller which has switches on it for a vibrator, flashing lights and rear view lights so that you can just plug them all in to the controll unit when you buy them wether you buy them at the same time as the machine or later on, spareing guys like me who want these things having to spend hors wireing up seperate controllers.
6. Leading on from 4, 5 and even just for the vibrator how about putting all of the wireing in the same loom this again could be a 'pro' package, therefore ther would only need to be one cable running from the battery and then also one multi pin plug to attach the spreader rather than 2 2pin plugs.
6. Leading on from 4, 5 and even just for the vibrator and motor, how about having fuse sockets built into the back of the controller so that ones werent needed to be put in in line again this could be part of the pro package.

Well thats most of my ideas so far and haven't even used it properly yet as over here the season hasn't kicked off yet.

If you want some more info on what I mean about any of this get in touch could even draw you ap some diagrams includeing wireing diagrams etc if it was worth my while.

Anyways hope these suggestions help.

Will

#19 ·
William Brett;1085411 said:
Hi well I thought I would chime in on this one and give you my 2 pennies worth, I have just bought my first tailgate spreader a 575. love the build quality think its a good bit of kit but I think as you seem to listen to what people have to say if you take some of the stuff which other people are saying and I am going to re iterate it will be a top notch product.
Thanks for your ideas, Will. I hope the 575 treats you well this year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.