Snow Plowing Forum banner

Subcontracting

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Chip 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post to this site. I was told about it from a friend of mine. Good wealth of information here!

My question is about what you should pay any subs you may have for snowplowing. I realize there are differant methods you guys have for bidding on jobs. I am interested though on if you hire subs for your jobs and what you would pay them. I plow in the southeastern PA area.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Rick-

#3 ·
Okay...I have another question. Do you guys who sub have a minimum time clause for each snowplow job? Another words do you request that you get at least a certain amount of time for each job...If so what?

#6 ·
PaPlow,

I'm pretty close here to your market (Delaware County). I know the going rate around here is $55-$65 an hr for a p/u with a straight blade (7.5-8.5). Where is the bulk of your work. I'm doing all res. on the main line. (Radnor, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Haverford, ect)

Mark

#7 ·
Mark,

Majority of my work is in the central montgomery county areas (Norristown, Blue Bell, Trooper, Collegeville) I also am a sub for a large contractor and plow for them in the Malvern area...right now. I am looking in to getting my own commercial jobs next year. Interested in plowing for me if I do?

Rick-PAPlow

#8 ·
Rick,

Kinda have a full plate at the present time. I got 20 drives mostly on the main line with alot of walk work. Last snow was the first time I did my whole route, twice as a matter a fact. Had my son & my nephew with me manning the shovels & blowers & spreader. Alot of these require "0" tolerance and pay for it. I'm alittle spread out but it's my first year and I'll be looking to concentrate my route next year , if I don't get fed up with the res. I made some good coin last event, but we also busted our hump. Can't wait for the next event. Did not have one complaint. That's pretty good for the type of market I'm dealing with (main liners). I'm sure after we do these a few times, things will go alittle smoother(quicker). We could definetly trade numbers for back up. I got a few guys I do this with & for. Can't hurt, you never know.

Mark

#10 ·
We have two subs that we use. One is my Dad who we pay $35 per hour (he has his own insurance) and the other is a summer employee with his own truck (I pay his insurance). The summer employee we pay $50 per hour assuming that his $50 per hour is less than 80% of the work that he performed. If he worked 10 hours ($500) he would have to have done $625 worth of work. This probably would not work with all subs but it works for me. My dad works cheap just because he likes to spend time with his boys.

#11 ·
Rick
It looks like are plowing areas overlap. I also plow parts of Blue Bell. I used to plow parts of Jeffersonville and Norristown. I cut back my plowing area and make a lot more money.
Anyway I have heard of contractors paying as low as $35/hr up to $70/hr. Malvern seems a little far to travel to sub, that must be 10 - 15 miles from you. If I were you I would keep your route with-in 5 miles.
Those of us from SE PA should get together sometime to discuss the business.

#12 ·
Hey Chip,

Sounds good to me. We aren't too far apart. That last snow I had an ad running in the Main Line Times And News of Del. County. I must have got 40 calls. I gave alot away to a few locals in the area. One lady said she would pay me travel time to Devon just to commit to her. Wanted to give me a $75.00 deposit on her credit card. These main liners freak about being snow bound. I'm not taking any more contract work unless it's too good to pass up. We need a few more events out this way. Let's hope it's soon.

Mark

#13 ·
Chip,

Malvern does seem a little far. I actually work in Great Valley area doing the commercial...If you know where that is? Right off 202. The guy I sub for is my girlfriend's brother he does work for a large contractor who does a lot of work for Liberty properties. They are a big firm all over the area and abroad. I worked for him a couple of years and quit because of money problems. He asked me to help him out again this year...promising me no more money problems...I being the nice guy said "will give it another shot."

To be honest I am not sure if going out there is worth it or not. I make $60/hr. I might just be better off doing the residential stuff. I can get more money per hr and even better CASH money!

I'm going to stick it out a little longer and see what happens. He promised me to be paid after each job. To date he owes me for two jobs... We shall see.

Sounds like a plan getting together sometime. Maybe over a couple of beers or coffee...Let me know.

So whats happenning Friday? I see snow in the forecast for our area.

Rick-PAPlow

#15 ·
Week nights are ok here. Lets see who's up for it and try to find a central location, diner,bar,dukin donuts, ect. We are supposed to get some of that white stuff on Friday. Not predicting much but then again we were supposed to get over foot last week. I'll be ready. Also saw maybe again on Monday. Let it accumulate accumulate accumulate accumulate accumulate!!!!

Mark

#16 ·
Have you guys heard of Reed's located near the intersection of Rte's 202 and 73. This might be a central location that would be easy enough to find. Let me know what you think about a mon. or tues. meeting and if you can do lunch or prefer evenings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.