Snow Plowing Forum banner

stupid question of the day...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MickiRig1 
#1 ·
I know there are going to be some of you out there shaking your heads at this question but here goes.... I have a 1981 F250 300-6 and I am tring to set the timing, can someone please give me simple instructions on how to turn the distibutor? I have set the 1st cylinder at top dead center but when I do this the distributor is at about the "10 oclock" postion instead of at the first plug. Can I just lift up the distributor and turn it 180 degrees? Are there any little parts that I have watch out for (springs etc?)? Does this even make sense to you all? The truck does run but just really rough (parked at an idle). When you step on it to rev it up it hesitates and then bogs out for a second before responding. It also backfires through the carb once it has warmed up. (this is timing right or am I totally lost???) I'd apreciate any and all help you can provide this "dumb blonde"....lol

#2 ·
Isn't there a bolt with a clamp at the base of the distributor? Loosen this bolt and you should be able to turn it. DO NOT lift it up out of the block. With the engine running is when you set the timing, using a timing light. There should be a decal under the hood to tell you what it should be. :) Rick.........

#3 ·
Always mark the rotor position first with some tape so you can go back there if it gets worse and not better, remove bolt and hold down bracket and just pull it up until the rotor can be turned by hand, as it raises up it will turn with the curves of the gear (another reason for the tape) so it can play with your mind if you even moved it at all, move it a tooth at a time and try it out, should be # cylinder at top dead center on compression stroke and rotor pionting to the # 1 plug wire, also make sure you don't have plug wires crossed, this can make it run like timing is off, :drinkup:

#5 · (Edited)
By the way..... is it true that if you are off by 180 degrees that you have to buy a new cap and rotor? (something about you can only turn it so far??)Sounds funny to me. I thought you would just be able to turn it no matter what it's position. The truck starts and runs it just runs really rough. I thought I'd only have to replace all that if it wasn't starting/getting spark. Everyone I talk to around here has a different answer :dizzy:

#6 ·
It sounds like you are 180 out for sure. You take the clamp off and lift and turn 180 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.