Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. I'm new. I'm in a tight spot and cant find much info I'm looking for. So I have strobes I just recieved and they 3 wire red (positive) black ( negative) and yellow (synchro). I have a 3 prong rocker switch I'm looking to hook these lights up to and I dont use the cheap about to break in my hand switch that came with lights. I'm trying to figure out how to wire them up using my own switch. I cant figure out how to make them work without the switch that came with lights. Please help!!! Much appreciated

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
Is the switch lighted? If yes, then one of the pins is ground and you'll have to figure out which one. If no, then it means the switch is more than just on/off and you'll have to figure out what kind of switch you have (such as on-off-on)

Pictures of the switch front and back might help

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the switch lighted? If yes, then one of the pins is ground and you'll have to figure out which one. If no, then it means the switch is more than just on/off and you'll have to figure out what kind of switch you have (such as on-off-on)

Pictures of the switch front and back might help
Yes it's a 3 pronged light up rocker switch

Hand Steering part Gesture Automotive design Finger

Automotive tire Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Yellow sinc wire goes to the other light(s) so they flash together or opposite.

The switch....power in, switched power out, and the 3rd is gnd for the light when it's on

Reactions: cwren2472

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yellow sinc wire goes to the other light(s) so they flash together or opposite.

The switch....power in, switched power out, and the 3rd is gnd for the light when it's on
Yes so the yellow wire runs between the two lights but comes all the way to their ghetto switch they sent me. I want to use my own. As pictures above. I cant get lights to work with my switch but will work with theirs and that's whats confusing me. I could careless if I'm able to switch flash patterns at this point. Very confusing ‍♂

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
My guess on your switch: 12v + in likely goes to the middle. Turn the switch on and use a test light to see which pin has power coming out. That will go to your red on the strobes and the other pin will go to ground to make the switch light up

Your black from the strobes will go to ground also

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hoping there is a way to use my switch ( seen above ) and get them to work without yellow wire or how to get them to work with these wires I'm working with. Sorry for all replies just trying to make sure I'm explaining correctly

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would need to add a second switch for the pattern selector yellow wire

The switch you have will do on/off only so you'd need to leave it at one pattern without a second switch
Yes I dont need to select patterns I'm happy with which ever one comes on. But I hooked up a power wire to power switch then ran red strobe wire to middle post and black from light to copper post on switch and they dont work

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The strobes also have their own wires coming out for power. So the two pictured wire go to pos and neg of battery. Then it has a second set of wires with special clips with red black and yellow wires

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Cable

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Noooooo

The black wires from the lights go directly to ground
The red wires from light goto the power 9ut from the switch

· Registered
14,949 Posts
So the two pictured wire go to pos and neg of battery. Then it has a second set of wires with special clips with red black and yellow wires
Huh....pics

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first pictures shows how lights are connected to one another which has red and black which go to battery for power and ground. The second picture shows red black and yellow. That come all the way to front of vehicle where I " would" mount the ghetto switch the gave me

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design Gas

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Bumper Tints and shades

· Registered
14,949 Posts
What lights are these, did they come with a diagram

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Ok, I'm assuming that the power and gnd go into the switch box, then the switch box sends either or both power and gnd to the lights. And the yellow wire is the mode switch.
You need to see what that switch box turns on, power or gnd and report back

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.