1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

strobe permit question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Jan 8, 2003.

  1. mike9497

    mike9497 Senior Member
    Messages: 466

    i just got a form to fill out for a strobe light permit.now it has a section for authorization.it has to be signed by local police or fire,local mayor,dept of health or the dot.so since its an amber light deal i have to go hunt down someone from the dot or do i just send it in blank and they have the dot review it then sign off on it????? never had to do this before so im sorry if i sound like a dumba**.
  2. mike9497

    mike9497 Senior Member
    Messages: 466

    doesn't work out to well in my state.if the a** of the truck so much as hang over the road i get a talking to.plus the housing complex im doing is right next to the new haven police department.
  3. OffRoadPlow

    OffRoadPlow Senior Member
    Messages: 247

    Just go to the Fire department

    If the FD is an option, I would just go there. I have firefighters in the family, and they are almost alway willing to help with anything... Just my 2 cents....
  4. gslam88

    gslam88 Senior Member
    Messages: 168


    You can try the fire dept or police in east haven... I am sure they do it all the time....

  5. mdb landscaping

    mdb landscaping Senior Member
    Messages: 823

    i just went down to town hall and got the fire chief to sign off on mine.
  6. plowking35

    plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT
    Messages: 2,923

    Our town selectman doubles as the highway foreman in our town, he signed off on mine. If not go to the local PD or FD I am sure they will be happy to sign off. Amber light permits dont raise to many eyebrows. Not the way red white or blue do.
  7. Chuck Smith

    Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 2,317

    NJ is ridiculuos. IF you want to get a permit, and it is for plowing, you must have a Government contract for plowing, be it Federal, State, County, or Municipal. You must then attach a copy of said contract to the application. Your permit will expire when the contract expires. For private snow plowing you are not entitled to a permit. (I have said in numerous threads how dumb it is in NJ)

    The way around it, is to state, if you can without lying, that you do municipal road work. That will get you a permit with NO expiration date. The roadwork could be pouring street sidewalks, curbs, doing Municipal shade tree plantings, or roadside hydroseeding to name a few.

    In NJ, the "permit" is simply a letter you must carry in the truck that states you are entitled to use the amber light.

    Mike, get it signed by someone BEFORE you send it in, or it will be rejected for lack of authorization.

  8. 90plow

    90plow Senior Member
    Messages: 739

    Any Jersey boys no where i can get a permit for my Dodge I just failed inspection cause the lights weren't under permit. Where do I go in NJ to get this how much does it cost and what do I do to get it?
    Thanks in advance
  9. 90plow

    90plow Senior Member
    Messages: 739

  10. Chuck Smith

    Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 2,317

    Did you not read my post above your 2 posts? I answered your question. Call DMV and ask for the application. Tell them you do municipal road work. Ifyou have a fax machine, PM me your fax number, and I will fax you a copy of the application....