Straight vs. V blade

john r

I've got to buy another plow and was wondering what advantages a v blade has over the straight blade. I'd like to buy the v plow but am unsure if it's really worth it. Thanks, John Reich

Last edited:

SnoJob67

I have a 7.5 straight and an 8-5.V (both Western). I prefer the V. There are exceptions to every rule. However, most who have used both prefer a V. Do a search if in doubt.

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
V-Plows help a lot in parking lots where the runs are super long. The plow can obly hold so much snow. The straight blades have there place, they work well in most residential applications. When you are dealing with 1500 ft driveways, a 9' straight blade with a foil is worth its weight in gold. The V-Plows don'r have the option of a foil.

The Big streight blades 9' and 10' work well for roads. I think that for most parking lots the v-plow has it all over the streight blades under 9'. However there are places and appliactions where streight blades work just fine. I have a pick up that plows a route of driveways, that a v-plow won't save anytime off. I also recycle my old 9' streight blades on equipment. So buy having a few it allows me to recycle them.

Geoff

ddm

I don't know a lot about v plows YET. Just bought a Boss 9-2 poly V for my truck, and everyone I've talked to seems to agree with what has been said here about the v units. One thing I did add to my straight blades was a set of pro-wings. I liked them for gathering up snow and holding more on the plow as they seemed to speed things up in the lots I was doing, and were relatively inexpensive to buy. (about $ 170. I think) Hope this might help you some:)

plowking35

2000 Club Member
While a snow foil isnt available for the v plows(I think fisher is the only maker that sells one) deflectors are available. From western it is standard, extra from fisher. Not sure about boss.
Dino

Michael F

Dino,
My Fisher dealer includes deflector. He also includes cutting edges(not standard with Fisher). I guess it depends on the dealer. Not trying to criticize, just stating different dealer do different things.

Mike

B

BOSS Adam

What truck did put ur plow on ddm and john r?

just curious thats all

Adam

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I should say that in 98 and 2001 the deflector wasnt standard on the fisher. Like you mentioned the dealer may include extra items on a standard install, but I am sure you are paying fot them, or you just have a really great dealer.
Dino

plowguy06

i think that most v plows can also be extended to be straight, so you may want to get a plow like that (i think boss and western make those maybe fisher too):confused:

OP
J

john r

Boss adam,
The truck is a 99 f450 auto,4x4, power stroke turbo deisel (With hp modifications)