Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
17,061 Posts
Is there any draw back on the V blade except for the release pressure on the hydraulic ram being 2800 lbs. instead of 3800 lbs. like the straight blade?
what do you intend to plow, your own drive with family and friends or are you looking at going into business?

if your looking to save a few $ a straight plow will work just fine
for the friends and family plan.

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Wait, what?
You can usually splain things pretty well.
Inquiring minds want to know.
OP was asking what are other drawbacks to a v blade...

If you get paid by the hour and not by the job,
a v blade is more productive than a straight
so you will make less money because you will be done faster with a v blade

I would say that less money earned would be a drawback.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
OP was asking what are other drawbacks to a v blade...

If you get paid by the hour and not by the job,
a v blade is more productive than a straight
so you will make less money because you will be done faster with a v blade

I would say that less money earned would be a drawback.
So, what you are saying is, @VplowsAreFaster? I'm confused now.

· Registered
15,547 Posts
Can i get someones opinion v blade versus strait blade for residential 2 car driveways.
I usually run 71/2 foot strait blades on my trucks. Looking to buy a new truck and maybe getting a 8 foot v blade.
Mistake?
V plows really shine in tighter spaces. You can maneuver snow around, etc. You'll find that you're in scoop mode most often.
You should be alright with 8'+. The length of your truck is more of a concern.

· Banned
13,098 Posts
Can i get someones opinion v blade versus strait blade for residential 2 car driveways.
I usually run 71/2 foot strait blades on my trucks. Looking to buy a new truck and maybe getting a 8 foot v blade.
Mistake?
The Vee blade will help you bust through the piles the minci's leave at end of driveway or for moving snow in scoop.

· Registered
17,061 Posts
Mistake?
what truck are you going to put this plow on?
1/2 or a 3/4 ton or bigger?
I recommend at least a 8ft plow for many reasons
what are your goals and expectations?

I have no idea how I ever get threw the berm left by the munies :dizzy:
with my srt8 plow?

yea a Vee plow is all the rage,
I wonder why all of the str8 plows with the power wings IE,containment plows were invented?
I str8 plow is nice for pulling up to the garage door to back drag, no fiddling with the wings to get them even.

if and when you start to plow larger parking lots you can always add wings to your str8 plow.

so....
budget, weight of plow, truck, and reality all come into the decision process.

from someone who uses both styles of plow.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
I started with a 7.5 straight blade, went to a 8 ft commercial grade straight blade and 4 years ago went to a 8.5 V plow, I can say I much prefer the v plow.

my time for a site that would have taken me 1 hour to plow with the straight 8 now takes me about 40 minutes with the V plow.

As for back blading, not much of a difference that I have noticed.

I do a lot hotels and condo's so being able to scope the blade into 7 ft allows me to get in tighter spaces and do a cleaner push.

If I ever go back to a straight then I would get the western Prodigy.

Also having plowed a 2 foot storm with a straight blade and then a 3 foot storm with the V plow, hands down the V made my life much easier plowing.

· Registered
7,916 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.