Starting to retire the ol Curtis's

JD GroundWorx

I'm in my second year of major commercial plowing and have used nothing but Curtis on my two 2500's. As I'm sure almost everyone knows, Curtis has discontinued plows and parts are starting to get VERY expensive. I've had minimal breakdowns with my plows so with the recent purchase of my 3rd truck, 2004 2500 duramax, I wanted to throw another Curtis on. The cheapest I could find a truckside frame was 800 dollars. That's not including harnesses, controller, or blade. So needless to say, I'm making the switch. I have multiple dealers near me, but from what I understand, the salt dogg/snowdogg dealer is the best to deal with. So I went with a snow dogg hd80. Hooking it up as we speak. I'm going to be switching my other two trucks to other brands over the next year and was just curious what everyone thinks. Should I stick with the snowdoggs because of the dealer or should I hop over to trusty but pricey western which also has a local dealer? I haven't heard much on snow dogg but the price was right and I jumped on it. Thanks in advance for any input

iceyman

PlowSite Fanatic
I'm in my second year of major commercial plowing and have used nothing but Curtis on my two 2500's. As I'm sure almost everyone knows, Curtis has discontinued plows and parts are starting to get VERY expensive. I've had minimal breakdowns with my plows so with the recent purchase of my 3rd truck, 2004 2500 duramax, I wanted to throw another Curtis on. The cheapest I could find a truckside frame was 800 dollars. That's not including harnesses, controller, or blade. So needless to say, I'm making the switch. I have multiple dealers near me, but from what I understand, the salt dogg/snowdogg dealer is the best to deal with. So I went with a snow dogg hd80. Hooking it up as we speak. I'm going to be switching my other two trucks to other brands over the next year and was just curious what everyone thinks. Should I stick with the snowdoggs because of the dealer or should I hop over to trusty but pricey western which also has a local dealer? I haven't heard much on snow dogg but the price was right and I jumped on it. Thanks in advance for any input
Some guys have had luck with their doggies but imo western is the better option.

OP
JD GroundWorx

JD GroundWorx

Some guys have had luck with their doggies but imo western is the better option.

I only paid 1200 for a blade used for one season, and then bought the harness and everything else for another 400. So I figure you can't go wrong for the money. But I'm strongly thinking about a wideout to replace the next Curtis

JustJeff

PlowSite Veteran
I'd stick with the same brand of plows incase you have to swap them between your trucks. It's nice to be able to do that. Especially if you have equipment break downs or something's in for or needs maintenance.

JMHO, NYH1.

This is good advice. I would keep brands the same between trucks. I've got a 5 year old Snowdogg, and it's served me well. People bash them, but mine has been fine. That being said, on my new truck I put a Boss plow on it. Just a much user friendly mounting system, and I'm also liking the direct lift vs. the chain lift, but that's just a personal preference. Next off season I'll be selling the Snowogg, and putting a Boss on the other truck as well for the reasons NYH1 stated above. If a plow breaks down I want to be able to switch out and keep going. I'll also be adding another Boss as a back-up plow for the two trucks. Since you've already got the Snowdogg, you may want to add a set of their wings to it. They've got some of the nicest wings in the business as far as I'm concerned. You pull one pin, and fold them back behind the moldboard when you don't want/need them. Very nice design. I've also heard (but not seen with my own eyes) that they changed their mounting system in the last year or so, so it's supposed to be better, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

OP
JD GroundWorx

JD GroundWorx

I'd stick with the same brand of plows incase you have to swap them between your trucks. It's nice to be able to do that. Especially if you have equipment break downs or something's in for or needs maintenance.

JMHO, NYH1.

I definitely can't argue with that. That was definitely nice about having a pair of matching Curtis plows. I'm gonna see how the snow dogg does and go from there is what I'm thinking

OP
JD GroundWorx

JD GroundWorx

This is good advice. I would keep brands the same between trucks. I've got a 5 year old Snowdogg, and it's served me well. People bash them, but mine has been fine. That being said, on my new truck I put a Boss plow on it. Just a much user friendly mounting system, and I'm also liking the direct lift vs. the chain lift, but that's just a personal preference. Next off season I'll be selling the Snowogg, and putting a Boss on the other truck as well for the reasons NYH1 stated above. If a plow breaks down I want to be able to switch out and keep going. I'll also be adding another Boss as a back-up plow for the two trucks. Since you've already got the Snowdogg, you may want to add a set of their wings to it. They've got some of the nicest wings in the business as far as I'm concerned. You pull one pin, and fold them back behind the moldboard when you don't want/need them. Very nice design. I've also heard (but not seen with my own eyes) that they changed their mounting system in the last year or so, so it's supposed to be better, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

I missed out on a mint used boss v that I wanted pretty bad. I'm at the point where I want to find a brand that works best both function and being able to get parts when needed. It's a shame Curtis went the way it did I really liked their plows. But if the snow dogg ends up working well I think I may look into their V. That would definitely be a nice addition to the fleet. Thanks for the input and it's nice to know you didn't have a lot of issues with the dogg

Top Forums