Stainless Western Spreader-\"parts\"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by UNCLE BOB, Mar 4, 2001.

1. UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB Member

Hey everyone, I just bought a stainless steel western spreader for $200.00 It needs a Deflector Plate around the spinner.That's it ,can you belive that?Controls and tailgate mount included.Where can I find the deflector plate?And how much is this spreader really worth? Did I get a good deal? Thanks for the help.

2. syzer

syzer Member

No horrible deal, sell it to me =).

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you got a good deal - almost wish I'd scooped it up! :D I think this might also be a good candidate for a urethane spinner! Unfortunately, I don't know the web site address for the manufacturer but I'm sure that http://www.allthingsiceandsnow.com can either supply them or point you in the right direction.

I imagine the best bet for the plate itself might be http://www.westernplows.com

BTW, what model did you get?

[Edited by 75 on 03-05-2001 at 03:20 AM]

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

A guy I work with has one (if it's the same model I'm thinking it is...), and I would DEFINATELY recommend a urethane spinner. His doesn't spread very evenly, and I've heard that the U-spinners are good for curing that. He also complains of his plugging up at the bottom, so if you can rig up and auger of some sort, it would be a good idea.

I'm not bashing you here or anything, just trying to help you get the most out of it. For $200, ya can't beat it. You could try the following web-sites to find your deflector plate:

http://www.centralparts.com

http://www.angelos-supplies.com

Not sure whether or not they'll have it, but they may be able to tell you where to go if they don't. Congrats on the deal!

-Tim

5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Uncle Bob,

Great DEAL!!!!

Locally in Kansas City, I just priced a Western Stainless Spreader the new installed price was: $5,200.00.

Congrats on the find.

6. SlimJim Z71

Wait a minute... is it a V-box or the small tailgate model?

-Tim

7. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

uncle bob: if you have a western stainless tailgate spreader and not a v-box then i would make one out of some sheet metal and bolt it on.

a couple years back someone hit one of ours and bent it all up. i ordered a new back deflector for it from western, wasnt too bad of a price $15-20 but all it was was a thin piece of sheet metal painted black. rusted by the next season.

i use to order the stainless spinners from j thomas but i believe they donot carry them anymore. a poly like the ones on a v-box may be to heavy and the shaft diameter could be too large.

8. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Tim,
    The quote I mentioned was for a V-box. The local dealer here told me "Western does not make a Stainless Steel Tailgate Spreader".

9. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Uncle Bob

You did all right. I too got a 400lb stainless steel Western tailgate spreader and that is about what I gave for mine. From looking at mine I am sure that you can easily fashion a deflector of your own design to take care of the problem. Like Earthworks said it is nothing more than a light weight sheet metal bent plate.

Bruce

10. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

hey bruce - glad we agree, now where is all the snow?

11. plowjockey

The snow came and went. 2 minutes of snow. 3 seconds on my route (I made it to the door from the kitchen table) and done.

Bruce

12. SlimJim Z71

Rooster,

I'm not sure whether they still make it or not, but I know they did at one point. Like I said, they guy I plow with at the dealership has one.

-Tim

13. plowjockey

Tim
    They did make one, and I have one, but I think that all of the new ones are made with a poly hopper. Poly hopper, poly spinner, Poly want a snow cracker?

Bruce

14. SlimJim Z71

Thought so. My Pro Flo 2 has a poly cracker.... I mean hopper, but it has a steel spinner. Once that one starts rusting away, I'm probably gonna go with a poly one.

-Tim

15. OP
    OP
    UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB Member

Thank's guy's, I messed with it a little tonight and I do think alum. is what I will use for the deflector.By the way the spinner is stainless also.Yes It is the tailgate model,with height adjustment. Do they still make or sell it?I E-mailed Western-NO HELP at all they told me 1 place near me to call for parts.I asked for spec.s,and got none.

16. plowjockey

Bob

Please keep me posted if you will. It sounds like we have the same spreader. You can e-mail me and I would be mucho grateful.

Bruce

17. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Bob-

They do still sell it. Its in this years brochure. No mention of parts, but I'm sure they are available somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open around here.

[Edited by PINEISLAND1 on 03-06-2001 at 03:53 AM]

18. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Tim,
    Sorry, I was just relaying info from a dealer. Since he was wrong, I called back after other posts and informed that Western never made a S.S. tailgate spreader.

Well, I have to mark that dealer off my list. Dumb sales person!

19. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

20. SlimJim Z71

That's the one... lower left hand corner. It's okay Rooster, no hard feelings. Thought I might have been losing my mind there for a minute...

-Tim